Einmanudur 1, 76
15 Posts

18Posts
16Age
MaleGender
5'10''Height
RoyaltyGroup
LancasterHouse

Atenra listened thoughtfully to Leon's explanation. Didn't seem to be here unless that was why so much of Dalmasca was insane. But actually when Leon put it that way Atenra had to wonder if he wasn't on to something. Dalmasca was pretty much crazy, and it was more or less impossible to argue with that fact. Then again if Leon said it didn't make sense then Atenra would just have to accept that because it wasn't like he knew any better it just seemed like a very interesting point.

None of those options were particularly comforting. Then again nothing related to this particular topic was likely to be, Atenra supposed. After all, the idea of something leaking into and tainting magi in general was, well, terrible. The fact that it was sort of an external force that was doing it was encouraging but also terrifying. Because that meant that even if there was a way to slow it down or resist it, it couldn't necessarily be stopped because that insanity didn't come from inside, it came from outside.

And no one was ever going to be rid of the negativity that was all around Dalmasca. Thousands of years of slavery and worse had pretty much made sure of that. Stronger mages attracted more aura, which could technicalyl mean that older, stronger mages were more susceptible than new ones, with the exception of the fact that those older mages were likely to have learned how to resist it to some extent if they had survived this long without anything going wrong.

Okay. Knowledge was power, Atenra reminded himself. And it was good to have a grasp on things like this since he was going to be a mage one day probably. "Kind of hard to say I guess." Atenra admitted quietly. Certainly he didn't know.

"Though I can't help but wonder if you aren't on to something, with half of Dalmasca practically being out of their mind." But Atenra wasn't sure what that would mean and if that would mean it was already way too late to fix anything.

32Posts
17Age
MaleGender
4'Height
CommonerGroup
EssairHouse

Words mean nothing. It is easy to say, but many times harder to do.

Hm, well, maybe. Leon had thought it possible that the corruption was latching onto the greed and selfishness in mens' hearts, that was fully and entirely possible. Humes were porential, giant sentient blobs of potential, energies that could go one way or antoher. "I remember very little of my mother," he said, "but she always said that darkness exists in everyone's heart, just as light does, and it's up to us to keep that light shining very brightly, else the darkness would win. I almost wonder if that's what she meant. If a lot of Dalmascans are just, corrupting because they've let themselves fall too far. If that's the case, though, I'm not really sure there's anything to do about it, aside from hope the Messiah really can fix it. The Messiah exists to purify the corrupted aura, that Azaleon can have something of a clean slate again."

But whether it'd really be enough, Leon honestly doubted. There was too much darkness already in Dalmasca alone, it was hard to imagine that, even if all the corruption was purified, anything would really change. Humes would still be humes. Greed and power-hunger would still exist. And sooner or later, they'd end up in the same situation all over again.

But that was why people like Livia Asheron and Kassandros Essair were born. Things were supposed to be always a little light, and a little dark; the true problem, here, was more likely to be that the two were wildly out of balance. "I think our real problem is that positive aura and negative aura are completely out of balance," he said. "If I'm guessing right, the corruption should've been steadily purified as quickly as it was corrupted, by the positive actions of others. So I think, really, this is just a tangible side-effect of a fundamental flaw in our societies in general." Made sense to him.

18Posts
16Age
MaleGender
5'10''Height
RoyaltyGroup
LancasterHouse

Hm. Atenra thought about it for a moment, but he had to admit that he agreed with the sentiment. The idea that darkness and light was in everyone. No one was really fully one or the other it was... it was their choices that dictated the sort of person they would become. In a way Atenra liked the idea that it might come down, at least partially, to choice.The idea that maybe they weren't bound by destiny or something like that, but instead able to shape their own lives to some greater extent.

Unfortunately he wasn't sure... because if Leon was right then the not-awesome things going on in Dalmasca were only going to make things worse. And while the aura could be purified wouldn't it just... regenerate if things didn't change? But they couldn't change the whole country themselves. .... Not without a lot of bloodshed at least and that certainly wouldn't help either.

Atenra nodded slightly, thoughtfully. "That makes sense." It did, yes. But how did they fix that given all the terrible things that were prevalent all over the place? That was the problem, of course. Fixing it now that it was this badly out of whack. Because it obviously wasn't going to fix itself, and leaving it to do that would only end in things remaining just as bad as they were, if not slowly getting worse over time.

"But figuring out how to fix that particular flaw..." That was going to take more than the Messiah and a giant burst of aura. And it was going to take a lot more than their cluster of decent people here in Nydema to offset the darkness. Still it was an interesting theory, and if they could come up with something to put it into motion maybe they could make sure that the Messiah's actions weren't in vain after all.

Time would tell.

32Posts
17Age
MaleGender
4'Height
CommonerGroup
EssairHouse

Words mean nothing. It is easy to say, but many times harder to do.

Leon gave a slight shrug. "Figuring that out is the easy part," he said. "It's the actually doing it that's the hard part." Kassandros seemed to believe taking the Imperator throne would be the quickest way of achieving this, and perhaps, in different circumstances, he wouldn't really be wrong. But Kassandros didn't quite have the ability to remain upright in the face of what hell would be unleashed should he take the throne. Leon didn't understand the specifics, but he did understand House Essair were not as strong as they should be, and the House's finances were... strained, even though Kassandros somehow managed to make it all work. (Far be it for Leon to question him.)

"Because, I don't think it's something that can be fixed by just one or two people." The idea of revolution often sprung to the minds of one or two, but it required more than that to implement any real change. One person alone had a hard time making waves large enough to enact the kind of change that Dalmasca needed, and without intense opposition. The last thing Dalmasca needed, right now, was to end up at war with itself, and it was right on the cusp of one.

Leon would just hope Kassandros had a plan for that.

Hey, if Titus and Canius went away, would that mean Atenra would inherit House Lancaster? Was that a potential thing in the cards? Leon was just curious. That'd be at least one more high-ranking House that wasn't looking to conquer everything in sight, at least, and Dalmasca could use more of those. Maybe, if the noble upper-crust worked together, they could enact the change Dalmasca needed without causing much collateral damage. That was a possibility. Hmm. But how likely, well, that was in the air.

Stabbing people tended to work out, though, he supposed Kass could just, stab the right ones...

18Posts
16Age
MaleGender
5'10''Height
RoyaltyGroup
LancasterHouse

Mm. That was true, of course. Figuring things out was easy, talking about things was easy but actually doing something about those things, that was harder. Doing was always much harder, Atenra supposed. And that was.... mm. And that was also true, of course. Just a few people couldn't really change thousands, and this sort of thing would take a very long time to fix because it was a change that did have to be done slowly and spread through the masses.

And perhaps there would always be darkness in humanity's hearts. It was ...well. He'd just have to remember that Leon had said it was meant to be a balance anyway. A give and take. Atenra didn't think he'd be alive to see things get all that much better - but he could hope.

Hope was a funny thing, but it was often the only thing that kept people moving, or so they said.

"Ah, but I was going to eat breakfast." That was what Leon had mentioned. And of course, it was that time of the morning and eating something before he ended up in the gardens or cleaning or whatever it was he ended up doing that day.... that was probably a good idea. "You've given me a lot to think about though, so thank you." He wasn't being sarcastic. Leon had some interesting insight and Atenra was glad for the chance to consider things from his point of view.