As Dawn Breaks

Started by Inetkaes Lucain at Apr 06, 2019 1:21 am
Einmanudur 1, 76
30 Posts

Kassandros Essair

light from the shadows 154 Posts 17 Years Young Nonbinary Were Dragon Warlord House Essair 5' 9 Light Affinity Dalmasca

When one door closes, another one opens. And if it doesn't, kick the bitch in.

"Thank you," Kassandros said, more or less immediately, as Surya got the girl off him. He didn't mind it very much, but it didn't take a genius to figure out it was a very dangerous way to be dangling. The girl was, perhaps, lucky she hadn't fallen already. ... it was probably some sort of sign, wasn't it, that he was adopting Sandalio's daughter as if she was his own. He was going to think about something else.

Estelle, though, was trying to figure out how to dangle upside down from Surya, and given his grip, that wasn't working very well. Kassandros was just amused, and he decided to leave Surya to containing the little monkey. He was infinitely better at it than he was, as it turned out. "Good note," he answered, "I just wanted to err on the side of too formal." It seemed smarter. Not that most Lucains really minded what you called them too terribly much (they were going to get along great), but that wasn't the point.

"You know Atenra, if you ever end up in Saqqara, they'll probably call you the same." Just saying. "Oh, and actually, if we're patient, the deal with Sati will take care of itself. Unfortunately, he is currently owned by the largest idiot known to the hume race," Kassandros explained. "Titus won't give him up without a very large fight. He's the only thing keeping the house standing, now. We can fight that fight, but it'd take too much effort and resource out of us to do it. If we give it long enough, Titus will do something stupid, and this time, the rule of mortality will kick in." No man could stand against the rule of mortality, as it happened.

There were, however, many different ways that could go, and Kassandros wasn't entirely certain which it would be. He supposed it didn't terribly matter, but he was curious. He hoped it was Victoria that took him down. If anyone here deserved to be the one to do it, it was her. Titus had put her through hell, after all. There was something to be said about the patience and emotional and mental fortitude necessary to marry a hell-beast like he was. He had the same, most likely, given he had to live through similar ordeals.

He wouldn't consider it quite the same, but he was starting to get the impression he was being too lenient.

Surya Lucain-Nashret

21 Posts 3,032 Years Young Male Were Lion Royalty House Essair 6' 2 Air Affinity Free Cities

There is strength in standing alone, but there is much more in admitting when you can't.

Very slightly, Surya nodded, at the thank you. Soon as he figured out what Estelle was trying to do, however, shifted his grip on her, and let her fall over and hang from his arms, which had a good grip on her legs. There. If she wanted to hang upside down, fine, but do it more securely than that. ... fortunately, if she fell from this height, it shouldn't hurt too much, either. He'd just be glad that his reflexes were good enough, anything going wrong in this situation was somewhat slim.

Kassandros and his mannerisms were still somewhat strange. He was glad, of course, that he didn't seem to have inherited the very prominent Dalmascan cruelty streak, but, Surya also knew, in a place like this, it was more dangerous than anything. He had to wonder, how much more this one would have to live through, because he wasn't a terrible person. Of course, he'd never voiced the concern, at least, not in Kassandros' presence.

Hmm. Strangely, Surya couldn't remember if they would or not. He didn't remember much of Saqqara, so perhaps that wasn't terribly surprising.

"Titus is not very intelligent," Surya mentioned. "If any were going to get themselves in more trouble than they could handle, it'd be him. Or his son." Canius was also a good deal up the list of idiot Dalmascans that were liable to get themselves into too much trouble and die from it. Thus far, neither had, and honestly, it was almost a miracle. Shame they hadn't inherited Umbrius' intelligence.

Damn Umbrius, honestly, he stole all the Lancaster intelligence. No wonder Titus threw such a huge fit over Victoria. He needed some more brains in his bloodline. ... then again, it didn't do Canius any favors, so perhaps that was somewhat moot. More concerning, though, was what this trouble was. Surya was very aware Sati was not terribly fond of him. But murdering your master tended to end in you dying. Of course, if it ended that way, Surya didn't think Kassandros would call it 'taking care of iself.'

Inetkaes Lucain

18 Posts 3098 Years Young Female Were Tiger Shark Royalty House Lucain 5'9'' Water Affinity Free Cities

Atenra looked slightly uncomfortable at the indication that he may well have to deal with it from strangers in the future.

"Well, actually... if it really bothers him probably he'll be called that once or twice and then they'll just stop and stick to calling him what he prefers. None of us are particulalry formal." Inetkaes shrugged a little. "We're all just people, after all." The Lucain famaily happened to be leading but that didn't make them any more special than anyone else and it was that down-to-earth thing that made them good at leading, Ine thought.

"Though, if the situation around Sati will take care of itself...." She trailed off slightly. "Perhaps I'll bide my time a little and let that happen instead of preparing to go to war with his house. I could probably win eventually but maybe not without far more risk than necessary." That did sound like it was probably going to be the easiest thing to do. Especially if Kassandros' assessment of the situation was even half accurate - and the younger blond would likely know better than she did merely by virtue of being native.

Inetkaes decided not to point out that stupid seemed to be the default status of most Dalmascans, if only because it would probably not earn her any points with the obviously-Dalmascan head of house that she was kind of making nice with at the moment. She'd already decided she wanted to make nice with the one that Surya liked, and it was clear Surya didn't like Sati's owner.

Though now that she was paying attention, Inetkaes realized rather abruptly that the teen had a lot of Aura. Far more than most hume mages ever managed to store at any given time. That was uh. Hm. No, she thought she knew why, now. "A guardian, I see. That explains much." So it did, and yet it probably left many questions as well.

Kassandros Essair

light from the shadows 154 Posts 17 Years Young Nonbinary Were Dragon Warlord House Essair 5' 9 Light Affinity Dalmasca

Ah. That was - yeah, that sounded like the Lucains. By now, Kassandros supposed most of Saqqara would be quite accustomed to calling their royal family the same as they called anyone else. Kassandros sort of envied them that. It'd be nice, he thought, to be able to just be himself, and not his station. But Dalmasca was Dalmasca, and he was stuck with it, whether he liked it or not.

Very quietly, he did giggle a little bit, at Surya deciding to just, let Estelle hang off his arms. But if anyone could keep her from busting her head open, it'd be him, and Kassandros wasn't going to complain.

"I have weapons I could use," Kass mentioned, "but I haven't, because some of those weapons breathe, and it'd be less painful for them to just give it some time." He wasn't interested in causing unnecessary pain, and so he was leaving it alone. He had many other things to be concerned with, it didn't matter to him, much, if he had to wait for one thing to figure itself out. Honestly, it was one less thing for him to worry about, and he could certainly use the reduction, however slight, in work-load.

A what? Kassandros made a face, tilting his head slightly, for just a second. "I'm sorry, what?" He'd heard the word, of course, but it didn't make much sense to him. Somewhere in that sentence, he'd gotten confused, but he was curious.

Inetkaes Lucain

18 Posts 3098 Years Young Female Were Tiger Shark Royalty House Lucain 5'9'' Water Affinity Free Cities

Mm. Inetkaes nodded. "There's no sense in causing needless harm." She agreed mildly. If the issue would work its way out, then she was willing to let it take care of itself. Even if she couldn't stay here Ine was sure she could find somewhere safe enough to remain. And it was possible he'd let her, she supposed."So I'm content to allow it to just take the time it needs. It has, after all, waited this long." Inetkaes could be patient a little longer.

As long it wasn't months longer she could manage. Sahura would likely never know the difference anyway. Nevermind he'd probably understand her methods if things were explaiend to him.

"A guardian, you know following the prophesy that the Oracle gave?" There was a fractional pause before Inetkaes continued with, "The era of silence draws to close,With this gift the gods bestow..." And then she fell quiet for a moment. Partially to allow him to take in what she'd said and partially to consider what the fact that he didn't know what she meant might... mean. In the sense of actually completing it.

Four guardians. Well at least he hadn't done the Aura burst by himself or anything. Did... he not know there were multiple, or had he simply not realized he was one? It was possible he hadn't. It wasn't as if Dalmascans did much in the way of studying Aura, and without that he may genuinely not realize how extradordinary the amount he had within him was. After all... it was quite possible that Dalmasca simply killed mages so often that other than the ones here in the house he'd not been around too many.

Hmm. Well, that was okay. For all that time was short, she could at least fill him in a little.

Kassandros Essair

"You're welcome to stay, as long as you need," he said. "I'll have to speak with Leon or Merenwen about a room for you, but I think we've got a spare. They know more about what rooms are in use than I do," he could, at least, admit that much. But, Leon and Merenwen ran the house when he and his brothers were otherwise occupied, and also managed day-to-day menial affairs, such as which rooms were in use, and which weren't. He could admit that without much difficulty.

Oh. The Messiah prophecy? As far as he was aware, the Messiah prophecy didn't mention anything about guardians, so what was that about? Was there another version he didn't know? Thinking about it, that made sense. Inetkaes was also most likely present for it when the original prophecy was told, and she was Saqqaran, and probably knew more about it than he would. Things changed when passed from one person to another, very frequently, and it wasn't difficult to imagine that the prophecy may have changed, too.

"I have to admit, I've never heard of a guardian in relation to the prophecy," he said. "I suppose your version of it might be more accurate." That was most likely, even, and if she wasn't against sharing, he wasn't against listening. Maybe it'd fill in some more of the blanks that Ytias had failed to, for whatever reason.

Inetkaes Lucain

"I appreciate that." Inetkaes murmured in response. It would cut a few things out of the situation - like ensuring secure, safe lodging close enough to the water for full moons if this took too long. But, also, it meant that she would be close enough to see Surya rather regularly, and she liked that idea. Gettign to know his family was on the list of things she wanted to do. And beyond that keeping an eye on things to make sure nothing major changed was also nice.

"I can't say it occurred to me that it would have changed that much. My apologies." If only because she'd jumped in rather deep and that left him having to sort of catch up to what she meant. There were worse things though, Ine knew.

Besides, his recognition of that much meant he did know of the prophesy, and did realize he was a part of it. Just... Dalmasca knew a different version than Saqqara. "Things do change as they spread though, I'd be curious to know what of it made it this far." She was actually, because that would tell her just how likely anyone else was to figure it out.

"There are four guardians who together will either create or become the messiah." One or the other, it was kind of up in the air which. "There is some theorizing that the guardians will be the gods' children. That part I never asked about to confirm." But it would make some sense. Demi-gods could likely tolerate far more aura than normal humes, after all.

And since they needed to tolerate the aura, preferably without corrupting, yes, Inetkaes suspected that the gods having a hand in it was likely. "... Do you know what causes mage insanity?" If he didn't know the details of the prophesy ... maybe he really didn't.

Kassandros Essair

Kassandros made a face. After a few moments, he arched one eyebrow upward. Her version was much different than the one they had heard in Dalmasca, but somehow, this reality wasn't surprising in the least. It would figure that it'd been corrupted a good deal. He shook his head, slightly.

"Seems not much made it," he said. "In our version, the Messiah is a single individual, very powerful mage intended to someday murder everyone that's not also a mage." That version of it didn't sound a whole lot like the version Inetkaes was telling. This, still, was not surprising. Disappointing, perhaps, but not altogether surprising. He'd just have to get accustomed to the idea there was a lot he didn't know, and maybe Ytias hadn't, or couldn't, tell him. These were things that were useful to know off the bat, though.

There were four of them, which meant there were three others just like him, somewhere. Somehow, that was a comforting realisation. That he wasn't necessarily alone in this, and given how young he still was, maybe that wasn't a strange thing to find comforting. The theories that they were the gods' children were surprising, but on the other hand, a demi-god would be best suited to holding so much aura, thus it made sense, all the same. That was a bit strange to think about. One of the gods could be one of his parents. Well, if he had to guess, maybe Ytias. Was he a triplet because the gods needed a spare, too? Sheesh.

"I do not," he answered. All he really knew about mage insanity was that fortunately, he hadn't gotten it.

Inetkaes Lucain

Oh. Well that was hm. Interesting, but maybe a little unfortunate. Inetkaes had suspected that it was possible that Dalmasca didn't have the full version, but if it hadn't made it this far... there was a high chance that none of them knew they weren't alone, if indeed they even knew what they were. That was... perhaps a problem. Perhaps not.

She'd just be glad that she happened to meet him and chat with him before he ended up in a position where aura bursting seemed to be the right solution. Because frankly if that had happened she was pretty sure that there was going to be a good deal of trouble. Somehow Inetkaes didn't think they had long enough for another guardian to come into their powers, after all.

"Hm. I don't think you'll murder those who aren't mages. ... I could be wrong, admittedly, but I always thought that the seed of magic would spread from you into the other humes." So they'd all be mages, but that wasn't really the same as killing them. She could be wrong, of course. It could... be much different than that, after all. But it seemed a nicer thought to her.

.... Oh. Well. Of course he didn't. Inetkaes wished she could say she was surprised that Dalmasca didn't really know what caused the insanity but uh...Well. Actually that explained why so many of the Dalmascan mages were killed. "The insanity is caused by an imbalance in the aura. Too much negative aura attracts more negative aura until they spiral out of control." Basically. It was kind of an oversimplification but that was probably the part of it that he needed to know the most.

"The good news is, that it can be reversed." Presuming one knew how to do that, of course.

Kassandros Essair

Given it already was, that was always what Kassandros thought, too. He supposed it didn't matter because this entire conversation made some of the answers Ytias had offered him questionable at best. Then, it was possible that Ytias had been answering in a way that Kassandros didn't understand, at the time, due to not being aware there were more than one of them. So what happened, if most of the Guardians wanted the aura-burst to do one thing, but the fourth wanted a different thing? Maybe it was very important that Kassandros eventually find the other three because they'd need to be on the same page if they were going to work together.

"Ytias said that what the aura-burst does is not set in stone," Kassandros said. "That it's up to me, or... us, I guess, whether it helps or hurts. It's still our aura, and the gods can't tell us what to do with it." Something like that. If mage insanity was caused by an imbalance in negative and positive energies, was it possible for the aura-burst to right that balance? If negative aura attracted negative aura, then surely positive aura attracted positive aura... but then, he supposed this got into the nitpicky oddities of how aura even worked in the first place, which, Kassandros was woefully unaware of.

The Free Cities probably knew a lot better than he did, that was for sure. "I thought it might be reversible," he said. "Nice to know I wasn't wrong. ... well, that's a lot to think about. Uh. Well, we don't skip meals around here, so please go eat breakfast, and sometime today, someone will have a room for you." Someone. Who knew who at this point, but House Essair was a busy place.

Somehow, though, it was kind of comforting to know he wasn't the only "Messiah." He hoped the other guardians didn't come to hate him. ... he had to find them first, but there were a thousand other things to do. Who designed this??