Welcome to Messiah! Please login or register!
Pages 1 [2] 3

No Sweeter Innocence Failed (Yet Successful) Experiments Mar 8, 76 675 Views
30 Replies
Started by Damian Cassimer, Apr 27, 2018, 01:41 AM
Dimitrios
No title
Slave
26 Posts Slave Written by dragonborn
Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the decision there is something more important than fear.
Jun 15, 2018, 04:18 PM / 389 Words
Yeah, it was. Dimitrios gave a nod, there. "Long term, is a way of saying it. I've got other things I'll get interested in, like watching certain kinds of bugs. There's a caterpillar somewhere around here, I'm waiting for it to spin its cocoon, so I can get a good look at it. That'll be fun. Some nesting birds around. There's no sense in sticking to just books when you're dealing in science, and all." It was much funner, and more of a solid learning opportunity, to see and experience first-hand, after all. "The birds just had their eggs hatch. The twittering... they scream more than hume babies." Haha.

"Someday, I want to see Galace," he mentioned. "... well, I did." There was no point in thinking about it, now. For the foreseeable future, he was stuck here, and brothels didn't tend to free their slaves very often. Unless he managed to get good at this, and do what that one guy did, charm his way out of here, somehow manage to earn freedom, he'd be stuck here. But what would he even do with his freedom, anyway? He didn't know where Andreas and Cyprian were, and Dimitrios didn't want to leave Dalmasca without them. He supposed even just thinking about it was kind of dumb.

"The Galacese have interesting ideas. Humes could probably use to learn a few things from them." That was what he thought.

It was kind of stupid, because there was no sense in being upset about it. He knew he would be, when he wasn't so busy he couldn't really think about anything anyway. He couldn't, and didn't, really fault himself that, but he was also supposed to be working. "... are you really okay with us just sitting here and talking?" Dimitrios decided to ask that, instead. Because it still seemed odd. Yes, it happened before, all the time here, actually, because Lucius was always in and out, but it still seemed... surreal. Dimitrios was less jaded than someone else here might be, but he knew enough about Dalmasca to know how weird this was, all the same.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
27 Posts Warlord Written by Lenara
Jun 20, 2018, 07:39 PM / 349 Words
Damian listened intently, his expression somewhat thoughtful. "That makes sense." It did yeah. "All kinds of stuff right in nature to observe." Yeah, even with limited mobility, Damian could see why those things were interesting. And he was sure they helped make up for Dimitrios having less time to explore his interests. Though, perhaps not much. "Aww baby birds. That sounds neat." It did. "... Ah, though I do imagine they're loud." Probably at least. Little birds tended to be. It was kind of surprising how much noise something that tiny could make when it wanted food.

He made a soft noise of apology in the back of his throat, but Damian wasn't sure how to respond to that, exactly. Saying something trite about how many he would one day just seemed silly, all things considered. So perhaps it was better he didn't say anything at all. "I can agree with that." Immediately. "Ah, but Dalmasca could learn a lot from almost anyone if they opened their eyes." Just... leaving that there, yes. Because that was probably more than he should have said, but it was already out and there was no point in worrying about it.

It wasn't, like, incriminating at least. He just wished that Dalmasca didn't do quite such a good job at destroying everything it came into contact with. Would it kill them to make friends instead? Apparently yes, yes it would.

"I am really okay with this, yes." He was sure. "I promise, I have spent an hour or so in far worse ways." Yes. "Though I'll go if you really want me to. I just thought the pause might be nice for you, a little." If only because he was clearly in pain and sometimes a rest helped? He didn't know if this was something that it would help with exactly, but... it certainly couldn't make it worse.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Courage is not the absence of fear. It is the decision there is something more important than fear.
Jun 22, 2018, 07:24 PM / 307 Words
"They never quite stop chirping," Dimitrios mentioned. "Not sure why, though it does get louder and more insistent when the mom bird comes back." Probably, that was 'feed me,' but why did they chirp so consistently? That, he hadn't figured out. He wasn't sure if there was even really a reason, it could just be because that was what baby birds did. Some things, after all, had no real logical explanation; they just were.

Yeah... Dimitrios was starting to understand that. It wasn't as if he hadn't known it, logically, before. It was just that, he'd never really seen how bad it was, until now. His mother and Nero, and Cyprian for that matter, had done a pretty decent job of keeping he and Andreas mostly unscathed. Being honest, he wasn't sure if he was thankful for that, or if he wished life had been a bit harder, because it was something of a slap upside the head when they were gone. It wasn't like he and Andreas hadn't learned to take care of themselves; it was just kind of jarring, really.

He wondered if his mom and Nero had it worse than he thought. He knew Cyprian did.

He shook his head, there. "I don't mind, it's just, weird." Kind of funny, because Lucius did the same thing. "Though, I guess it shouldn't be weird." Well, no, still weird, because, how did a monster like Marcus manage to raise Lucius and Damian, anyway? He'd never know. "... did you know Galace's capital city was magically sung into a big tree?" That was always fun random trivia.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jun 23, 2018, 10:52 PM / 286 Words
Oh? That was interesting, really. Never really stopped chirping at all. He had no real way of fathoming why they may not be stopping. But maybe that wasn't all that unusual either. It wasn't as if Damian had watched nests in the past - maybe he'd have to sometime. "Maybe the little ones are talking among themselves." Maybe? And then mom got home and they all demanded to be fed before the others. Yes, Damian knew that most animals didn't really think quite the same way humans did, still that was the easiest way of relating, sometimes.

"Yeah, I guess it might be." Weird. Well, Damian never pretended he wasn't weak or weird or anything like that for that matter. Certainly he was more soft-hearted than Marcus would have liked. Sometimes Damian cared that Marcus would never give him more than the time of day. Other times... in his clearer moments, he wondered why he wanted Marcus' attention so badly. It wasn't as if Lucius withheld his love.

"Why shouldn't it be?" His tone was slightly curious. Was there someone else who came here and did the same thing? His tone was light and easy, as if it didn't matter. Which, to be fair, it didn't It was just a curiosity, and whether Dimitrios answered or not, it wasn't the end of the world.

"Have to admit, I did not know that one." Damian's tone was pretty well impressed. "That's actually really cool. I bet it's an amazing sight." No kidding.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Jun 24, 2018, 03:26 AM / 323 Words
Despite himself, Dimitrios almost laughed, huffing slightly, one of those fleeting but natural smiles crossing his face. "Maybe they are," he agreed. "Wonder what they talk about. Probably something silly like 'when's mom coming back, I'm starving,' 'you're starving, I haven't eaten in two minutes!'" Well, probably not, but it was amusing to think about.

... hmm. Did he know Lucius came here a lot? Dimitrios had heard he had a specific slave he saw here, all the time. He kind of wondered if they were as close to dating as you could get in a place like this. He hadn't asked, of course. That seemed unimaginably rude, that was all, it really wasn't any of his business. If Damian didn't know, though, maybe Dimitrios shouldn't tell him. That seemed kind of rude, too. Far be it for him to want to stick his nose where it didn't belong.

He was just a silly brothel slave, anyway, now.

He kind of rocked a little, and then shook his head. "I just remember Lucius being a nice guy. I could see him doing this," he said. "When Andreas and I were nine, father dragged us out to another house for one of those parties for no apparent reason. Mom got busy with something, I think she was talking to a couple other ladies. Andreas and I were annoyed to be there, but most of the party goers were too busy getting drunk to bother with us. Lucius came over and talked to us all night, curtly made everyone else that happened to get interested go away. Mom thanked him when we left. Now that I'm older, I think I know why."

Apparently, he and Andreas were kind of pretty.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jun 25, 2018, 02:50 PM / 423 Words
It was Damian's turn to huff in amusement at that. "Yeah, exactly." Okay, probably not really. But it really was an amusing thought. And they probably really were asking about food, if they were talking at all, since food and sleep and such tended to be all babies, even baby animals, really did for a good long while. He supposed as they got a little older there may even be a bit of play fighting that went on as they learned to move better. Ah, but that was... anyway.

"Oooh." Well, actually, as weird as it was to think of Lucius demanding the attentions of anyone. If he had come to a place like this, he supposed this was precisely how Lucius would act. Friendly, not demanding, and willing to just talk instead of doing the thing if that was necessary. Giving someone a break, that really was up his brother's alley, so to speak. It was odd to think that Dimitrios knew Lucius that well, but then again his brother did get out there, being a friendly guy at parties and such. So... yeah, no actually he guessed it wouldn't be that weird.

"Ha. That sounds like Lucius alright." Damian didn't really think his brother was too fond of those parties. He could be wrong of course, but they weren't really... Lucius' speed, in his opinion. But it really did sound just like him to spend the whole thing chatting with two kids at one of those parties just because people were jerks when they were drunk. And Lucius was a good deterrent for jackassery, unless you were brave enough to risk his ire. And most people... yeah most people didn't want to upset Cassimer.

Go figure.

"Lucius has a house full of Ilim slaves." Mildly. "It started out he got a couple because he didn't want them to end up with... other people. And then they had kids, and he decided he didn't want to separate them. Last time I was out there he had like, thirty of them in the side house." Damian smiled a little, at the thought. "And they all adore him." Kind of an odd thing to share, in hindsight, but it seemed to follow the party story, to an extent.

Heaven help you if you try to hurt one of those Ilim.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Jun 25, 2018, 06:15 PM / 394 Words
He had a house full of what? For a second, he probably looked a little concerned, and then Damian explained it. That made sense. Yeah, that made a lot more sense, and sounded more like what he'd decided Lucius was probably like. Keeping them away from other people, that was always a good idea in Dalmasca. There were few reasons a Dalmascan would want an ilim for, which was kind of sad, because he remembered ilim being really good at a lot of things humes weren't. Like healing, for instance.

"Thirty?" Wow, that was a number. "How does he keep up with all of them? Wow." Well, maybe the answer was, he kind of didn't. Ilim children were supposed to be pretty energetic, at least Nero always said they were. He wasn't sure how Nero knew, but he'd taken his brother's word for it. Hmm. The rumors all said, Lucius lived away from the main Cassimer estate. Dimitrios hadn't noticed him over there very often, either. It kind of reminded him of Nero, a bit. Nero was never home. Dimitrios never did understand why, but thinking back on it, he supposed it didn't matter, much. Maybe there was some shard of him wondering why they apparently weren't enough to stay around, for. It wasn't like he had to stay in the main house. The side villa was actually his, and father wouldn't have ever denied him anything he wanted. If he wanted his girlfriend moved to the side villa, Aemilius wouldn't have said no.

He'd never really understand-Nero was gone now, and only Nero really had the answer for that. He wanted to understand, though.

"I hear Lucius doesn't stay in the main estate," he said. "Do you know why?" Maybe... maybe that'd give him a better idea. Something to go on, besides just guessing, because he could go around about it in his head, and never really figure it out. Not that Damian was any likely to have the answer he was looking for, but, maybe he could find it, somewhere in why Lucius didn't go home very often.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jun 26, 2018, 11:05 PM / 328 Words
The subtle expression changes were interesting, from concern to something like understanding while Damian spoke. He didn't say anything for a moment, letting Dimitrios finish processing before he said anything because it was easier that way to know what exactly he should say. Ah. "Yeah..." Shrugging a little. "I don't think he does honestly. He just kind of lets them do what they want and it works out well." Or at least it seemed to because the house was always in order when he went and Lucius never seemed to have anything unhappy to say about it all.

No, actually he really seemed to enjoy spending time with the Ilim. Damian missed him, sometimes, living over at the side house instead of with the rest of them. He didn't miss the fights between his brother and Marcus but that was... something else. It was a shame though that he couldn't really have his brother without aforementioned fighting.

"No he doesn't." Immediately in a rather bland tone. It seemed an odd thing for a brothel slave to be interested in. Damian's expression was... serene and thoughtful for a moment. "Marcus can be a hard man to live with." Was what he said finally. "He and Lucius don't see eye to eye on many things, so Lucius tends to find it easier to stay in the side house away from Father." It was probably more than needed to be said, but it wasn't really a secret, either. Anyone who paid attention knew Lucius didn't live with them at home.

Anyone who knew much about Lucius could probably find themselves wondering why, given he seemed to be a family sort.

"Even before that he wasn't home often. Doing things with the military. The usual." Yeah. And just, leaving it there, maybe.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Jun 29, 2018, 03:09 PM / 351 Words
Oh. That was probably an easier way of dealing with it, being honest. Ilim were difficult to keep up with, and humes didn't necessarily understand them-their cultures were drastically different-so maybe it'd be a better idea, in the long run, to just let them manage themselves. Shame nobody else had thought of that. Ah, but in Dalmasca, there was no freedom, anyway. For anyone, not just the slaves. How had Dalmasca gotten so terrible, anyway? It wasn't like he could fix it, but, he did wonder, a lot.

Lucius and Marcus didn't get along... he'd heard that, a few times. Nero and Aemilius always did, so, that probably wasn't it. Sure, he was always busy with military things, but half the time, he was busy with military things because he'd decided he should be. Unlike the rest of them, Aemilius didn't push Nero, not even a tiny bit. It was just, weird. That really didn't help, but, he wasn't surprised. Nero had always been something of an unfathomable mystery.

"Makes sense to me," he decided, and he'd just leave that there. "Sorry, probably a weird question." Probably? "It's just, Nero was never home, either. I'll never really know why, now. Just, thought maybe I could figure it out." It wasn't Damian's problem, though, so he didn't bother explaining why he was curious, now. Maybe anyone would be, after him being gone so long, and then dying on them. If Nero had been home more often, maybe things wouldn't have been so bad. Maybe Aemilius would've randomly disappeared like the last head of house Essair. Maybe he wouldn't be here.

Maybe, could've, might have been, what if, but... stupid, dangerous thought trails to wander down, really. "Only Nero really knows why, now. No sense wondering about it, but, I suppose it's probably one of the more logical things to wonder about."

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jun 30, 2018, 07:43 PM / 367 Words
Mm. "A little, but ..." Shrugging. "It comes up, sometimes. So it's maybe not as strange as one might think." And depending on the company Damian might or might not respond. But he didn't really think of Dimitrios as being harmful or meaning any harm by the question. And then the other began to explain it, and he sort of understood a little better what had led him to ask in the first place. Yeah, Damian thought it was pretty harmless.

"I'm sorry, it hurts to be left with unanswered questions." His tone was quiet. Ah, but Nero had died, as Damian recalled. A shame, he was a decent guy, but people died in war, that was just... a fact of the way things went. It wasn't fair, it was why he was always worried when Lucius went away, but... that was the way it went, sometimes. It wasn't as if Damian could ask Lucius to step down from his military duties.

And it wasn't as if their talking about it would bring Nero back. "I would say yes, it is a logical thing to wonder about at this point." Given Nero's death had seemed to be the catalyst for the fall of their house. And of course, Dimitrios presumably cared for his brother, and apparently hadn't seen him very often in the past. "On the other hand, it's all speculation at this point." Damian was sure there were reasons, whether they were good ones or not, well. No one knew that, anymore.

He should... probably go before too much longer. If only because it was obviously strange to Dimitrios for him to stay and chat for too long. Still for all that it had turned down a somewhat darker path, it was a nice conversation, and he was almost loathe to end it. That probably said not awesome things about his social life, but at least he recognized that. Ah, he did fidget slightly with the him of his shirt, sort of at a loss for what to say next.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Jul 02, 2018, 03:25 AM / 299 Words
Yeah, so it did. Dimitrios just shrugged. "Kinda what happens when people die suddenly, I guess." It wasn't like Nero was particularly good at explaining anything, anyway. No one really was. Things just were the way they were, he guessed. Sometimes, it felt like he'd missed a lot of his own life, even while he'd lived it, and that was probably a pretty sad impression to get. It wasn't really new of one, by any means. He always knew someone was always hiding something, and it was neither surprising, by the end, nor really upsetting, anymore. That was how it worked, in House Kenleigh. Maybe in most Houses, in Dalmasca.

"It is," he agreed. "... and really, doesn't actually matter. Even if I did figure it out, wouldn't change anything." He paused a moment, chewing his lip. "This is probably kind of bold, but, if you happen to come across one or both of my brothers... could you tell them I'm okay?" He wasn't. Not the kind of okay he was sure they'd want him to be, but, none of them could change anything. Unless, that is, Cyprian managed to talk his friend into saving them, but Dimitrios wasn't even really sure how close Cyprian and that friend were. It was more likely to be an arrangement of convenience, than anything either considered deeper than that.

Besides, Cyprian didn't really make friends, as sad as it was to realize.

Erm. "... hopefully it's not too expensive to have a talk around here." You know, Dimitrios wasn't actually... sure.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jul 04, 2018, 06:59 PM / 275 Words
It was, Damian supposed. It was still a little sad. Unanswered questions, unfinished stories. Whole unwritten chapters, really. Nero had been young when he died, soldiers often were. He nodded slightly in acceptance of what Dimitrios had said - he was right after all. And he left the topic alone because it was honestly not his to keep pushing on.

"I guess it wouldn't." Change anything, that was. It was too late to change anything, given the person they were talking about was already gone, and now they were just curious in his absence. It wasn't enough, really.

"I can do that for you." Damian agreed in a quiet voice. "I don't know if I will see them, but I'll tell them if I do." Even though he wasn't entirely sure it was accurate. That scream of pain before... and then being here. But it could have been worse. But it could have been better. It wouldn't be the first time he'd bent the truth to soothe someone, but it didn't necessarily feel like the right thing to do.

They'd see if he ever had to make that choice.

"It'll be fine." He was quite sure they hadn't spent much more time talking than he would have spent floudering about doing the thing, had they actually gotten that far, and Damian wasn't really worried. "Though, I should probably go before much longer." If nothing else he had things he should probably get done at home.

Dimitrios
No title
Slave
Jul 09, 2018, 04:34 PM / 261 Words
"Thank you." The chances of him coming across one or both of his brothers was pretty slim, and Dimitrios knew that. Still, he didn't have to say he would. Whether he actually would or not was kind of in the air, somewhere, and Dimitrios knew enough about Dalmasca to know that, too, and yet, it still managed to make him feel a little better. Maybe things weren't the way any of them had hoped they'd turn out, but there was no sense raging against it, either. He was starting to learn how to just accept things.

Ah, well, it wasn't like Dimitrios had any say over this place's pricing, so, he'd just hope so. Then again, the Cassimers were the richest noble family in Dalmasca, so, he supposed he was worrying over nothing. Likely, it was instinct; their father was always on their mother and Cyprian's cases about spending too much. Which is funny in hindsight, given Aemilius spent a lot more than both of them combined. But that was none of Dimitrios' business.

"Oh! Right, yeah you're probably a pretty busy guy, huh?" Yeah, Dimi, quit running your trap. "Erm, well, sorry that didn't quite go right. But uh, I'm probably not going anywhere?" Nah. There was later, if he decided he wanted to come back and try that again. You know, they really didn't cover this in seducing-rich-men 101.

Damian Cassimer
No title
Warlord
Jul 13, 2018, 12:55 AM / 320 Words
Damian gave him a knowing smile, that was about the best he could manage. "I would want the same thing in your place, so I understand." Was what he said finally. It was true, he'd want someone to tell Lucius that he was okay, whether he actually was or not, if only so his brother wouldn't worry about it. So he could understand why Dimitrios wanted him to, and maybe that was why he'd agreed, really. Just because that's what he would want if for some reason he was in the same place.

Damian would be fine, as far as the pricing went. And the conversation had been enjoyable, genuinely so. Though Damian was still concerned about Dimitrios - he'd just... hope that everything turned out okay.

He made a slightly non-committal noise. No, not exactly busy, but he probably shouldn't stay here too long since he didn't exactly know if or when Marcus might decide he had something that he wanted Damian to do or so. And it wasn't as if Marcus knew he was here. Damian sort of wanted to keep it that way - sort of.

"It's alright." In a gentle sort of voice. "Maybe I'll see you again some time." Maybe not all the same.

Damian did go ahead and rise to leave. He was still a moment after he stepped out into the hall, taking a few breaths to steady himself properly - he probably didn't look nearly rumpled enough. On the bright side, the woman at the front was blind and probably wouldn't notice. Right, this way, towards the main room.

@aphelion Dami should be ready for Julian.

Julian
No title
Slave
1 Posts Slave Written by aphelion
That's what love is; knowing they can walk away at any time, and trusting them not to.
Jul 19, 2018, 04:57 PM / 346 Words
If there was to be a bright side to this, it was that, at the very least, he always knew what he was supposed to be doing. Helene was very good at managing the day-to-day affairs, probably why the owner had eventually left such tasks to her, and no one was ever left floundering. When she could, she even tried leaving few-minute break gaps between things. Sometimes, it didn't pan out that way, but Helene tried, and most of them here appreciated that.

They had a new one, now. Kalix had decided to take that one under their wing, so to speak, but Kalix often did. There was only so much Julian could help with, anyway, given he actually had it rather easy. Technically, he was still a citizen. There were many things he didn't have to deal with, that they did. Admittedly, this often led to some semblance of resentment, and so, generally, he kept that detail to himself. This one might've been in the same situation, if Dalmasca wasn't as terrible to its people as it was to its slaves, but, here they were.

He was just meandering back, from a trip to the store. After letting Helene know he was back, he headed down the hall, back to his room, and almost ran into someone on the way. Reflexively, he started to apologize, but then looked up and froze. ... wow, that was like looking in a mirror, if mirrors showed your past self, and not the present one. How did he look so much like him? For a moment, he wondered if he should be questioning this more than he was, but, it seemed right, to him. Damian should be twenty... one, now, if he remembered right, about this one's age.

Staring was rude. Julian moved to the side, then, so the other could go about his way. It was, at least, good to know Marcus hadn't killed his son, but he thought better of saying that.

Pages 1 [2] 3