Welcome to Messiah! Please login or register!
Pages [1]

one great city rabia finally arrives to Nydema Mar 15, 76 65 Views
5 Replies
Started by Rabia, Apr 23, 2018, 08:12 PM
Rabia
keep the magic secret
Mage
3 Posts 23 Years female 5'2 Lowborn Written by Rehema
this is a gift, it comes with a price
Apr 23, 2018, 08:12 PM / 236 Words
It was dark when she arrived, just before sunrise. Rabia did most of her journeying by either boat or foot, she couldn't bear to take her neighbor's old horse with her. She spent little money on her travel, but she was smart enough to never go the full way alone, tagging along with other travelers and tourists, until eventually, she made it here. Her ankles were sore and her feet ached, but once she saw the city, she walked quickly, as she felt the sun's rays beam against her back.

--

In the markets, she walked about, her shawl covering her hair and shoulders as she eyed the many stalls and other faces that littered the streets. Whenever she felt someone stare at her, instead of cowering, she'd stare back and slip away. Her plans while in Nydema were up in the air, she wanted to find an inn, but there was so much to explore. Even now, Rabia, found herself at a bit of a loss and literally lost. Her brow furrowed, she struggled to push through the ongoing crowd. Naturally an empath, there was a burst of emotional energy that struck her, and nearly toppled her over. Overwhelmed, she went off into a dark alley as her head throbbed.

She had to slow down, and also careful, or her time Nydema would get worse.

Haku Tachibana
No title
Hume
8 Posts 29 Years Maleish 6' House Tachibana Ujalin Written by incendium
The summer river; although there is a bridge, my horse goes through the water.
Apr 25, 2018, 12:25 AM / 609 Words
To say the least of it, Dalmasca was certainly no Jihon. Given their awfully flamboyant and, ah, lively, manner, at times, Haku did wonder how it was the stuffy ujals of Jihon got along with the seemingly more free-spirited Dalmascan nobles. He did know, of course, sometimes, they did not get along whatsoever, and the phrase 'get along' was something of a heavy-handed choice to describe the two nations' relations. It was nigh parallel to a jovial person, telling their serious friend, they had a stick lodged up their - Haku, more recently, had begun to understand why the Dalmascans occasionally looked affronted, for seemingly no apparent reason. The irony of it all, the Jihonese were, as he recalled, rather quite formal with foreign dignitaries and nobles, and, the more displeased they seemed, the more formal the Jihonese became. He saw, now, wandering through the streets of one of Dalmasca's many markets, seated on the back of a bay gelding, the Jihonese ought to go the other way, it'd seem.

No matter. It was not as if Haku was an ujal, now. The current ujals would either learn on their own, or, they wouldn't. It was no longer Haku's problem, now. Perhaps he was not a proper citizen of Dalmasca, but, neither was he terribly against such an idea. For all that Dalmasca was foreign, it was not a terrible foreign. He had not, however, been in Dalmasca particularly long. It may yet turn out to be terrible, once he had gotten past the glittering surface. All things, and all people, had a dark side. Simply, it was a matter of finding this dark side, and deciding whether or not it was worth living with.

As his horse meandered through the crowed, he noticed one of the other people scurrying off into an alley. At first, he didn't think too hard about it, yet, from where he was perched, they seemed almost like they had a headache. Either that, or they'd just fallen for one of those excruciatingly obvious merchant tricks, which, Haku could sympathize with. He was not all that greatly familiar with Dalmascan tongue, and given his broken understanding of it, it was not difficult to word things in ways that succeeded in confusing him. It was, perhaps, strange to be so concerned, as they were ultimately a stranger, but in some sense, he did want a decent reputation in Dalmasca. In helping others, he could perhaps attain one of those decent reputation things... it'd certainly help in gaining favor and perhaps make his life while here chasing the white stallion easier. It wasn't as if he'd mention the white stallion. The Dalmascans may think him about as crazy as those back home in Jihon did, and he had nothing to his name. The end result might well be worse, here. Perhaps, he just felt like traveling? That was an odd thing, given he had rather a cushy position in Jihon. Well, no one here knew he was an ex-ujal, perhaps he'd leave that out...

He pulled his horse's reins, stopping him just outside the alleyway. "Ah, pardon, you seemed a bit... ah..." what was the word? He sounded stupid in Dalmascan. "Unwell? Are you alright?" He wasn't sure if that was the right term, either. Haku, you should have learned more Dalmascan while you didn't need it. It wasn't as if he could have guessed he'd randomly find himself in Dalmasca chasing a mirage horse. Well, too late, now.

Rabia
keep the magic secret
Mage
Apr 26, 2018, 11:53 PM / 151 Words
She flinched and realized where she was. The sound of someone else's voice startled her, she didn't expect for anyone to even notice her running off. Rabia walked back, eyeing the also foreign stranger astride his horse. What she probably failed to realize was that she was dehydrated, a silly thing to happen, knowing her occupation, but she had rushed her travel and finding clean water had proven to be difficult.

"I..." She started, still leaning against the stone wall behind, "I have been walking for a long time." She tried to put on a good front, but the combination of the heat and the crowd did take its toll on her.

"No need to worry about me, stranger-" She tried to walk past him, only to fall to her knees, still overwhelmed.

Haku Tachibana
No title
Hume
May 01, 2018, 05:12 PM / 241 Words
No, Haku supposed he didn't necessarily have any reason to really worry much. If nothing else, she wasn't necessarily his concern. Albeit, that really didn't look like it was nothing to worry about. Dalmascan women and their weird pride, was what he attributed it to, though this particular woman didn't seem to have the same accent. He heard stories about the Free Cities, about their, how you say, liberal, outlook on essentially everything. The Western Free Cities, they said, didn't even have slaves. How'd they get anything done without them? That was what Haku always wondered. In Jihon, and to some extent, in Dalmasca, slaves were so necessary, Haku could not fathom them operating without them, at least not terribly well.

Ah, that was alarming. "Can you ride?" he asked, sliding out of the saddle. "I'm not sure where I'm going, anyway, if it helps, you can borrow my horse, for a break from walking." The horse certainly wouldn't mind it much, she was probably a bit lighter than him, anyway. "Ah, and I hope you've more idea of where you're going than I. Oh, I'm Haku T- ... Haku's fine." It wasn't as if the name Tachibana meant anything, here, to most. Some of the nobility might recognize the House, but, Haku doubted it, truthfully.

Rabia
keep the magic secret
Mage
May 03, 2018, 01:34 AM / 469 Words
She lost her bearings. Ugh. This was a horrible way to start a visit, and a new life. Rabia's face burned in embarrassment as well as in the heat of the sun. Strangers were never really kind to her, she was hesitant to even answer his question, but eventually, she nodded. "I can ride a horse well enough, I just couldn't afford my own." she admitted.

She gathered up the strength to stand again, and put most of her body weight on the side of his horse, lightly petting the creature's flank as she spoke, "Haku, is it? I thank you." She nodded, her head would slowly settle as she suddenly remembered her manners, "Forgive me, my name is Rabia, sir. From Saqqara." She gave him a look, just a slight one of studying his features for a bit and then back to the still moving crowd before her. Other than what he told her, it was obvious that he wasn't from here, and she certainly wasn't, either.

"You must be from Jihon? I've heard of your country." She wasn't an expert on the place, but from hearsay and maps, and some stories that may or may not have been true, she'd heard that they ran on a strict hierarchy. It was a system that was somewhat purposefully made to be difficult to break out of. Especially if you were a woman.

"It sounds lovely." A small, simper of a smile graced her face. This person was nice enough to lend her his horse, she had decided to give him a benefit of the doubt.

Without wasting too much time, she carefully climbed and landed herself onto the horse's back, "I've only been to Nydema once, which is right now, I'm afraid."

She tsk-ed, she was good at finding her destination, but she had neglected to teach herself the attractions and businesses located within. "But what I do know is that Dalmasca is a place with something for everyone. Especially if you're searching for something!" Rabia grinned, "Which, is obvious, since you couldn't find it in Jihon." She shook her head, she couldn't really find what she wanted in Saqqara, either. Which was a better life.

"If you'd like, I can ask for directions for you?" She knew the language a little better, even if she did have an accent.

"It's the least I could do, of course."

Haku Tachibana
No title
Hume
May 09, 2018, 04:18 PM / 604 Words
Yes, he supposed that was a concern. Horses were a bit much to take care of, and being frank about it, he didn't have the space for one, anymore. Still, Dalmasca was a big place, and Azaleon even bigger, it wasn't as if he'd ever had any intention of walking where the stallion decided he needed to go. For all he knew, the stallion would eventually drag him across all of Azaleon twice over. He hadn't ever had the opportunity to ask it where it was going, and, even if Haku had asked, the horse, most likely, could not quite respond. Certainly, it'd seemed more intelligent than most horses, enough that Haku almost wondered if it were a were, and yet, he had not spent much time around it at all. Definitely not enough time to come to a solid conclusion on such a matter.

"Nae worries," Haku answered, patting his horse. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Saqqara, did she say? Hmm. Admittedly, rumor of the Western Free Cities was scarce in Jihon; the feudal lords were never terribly concerned with them, so long as they remained to the west, where they should be, albeit, at times, the Jihonese merchants warred with the western Free Cities' government. They were notorious for placing overly steep tariffs over Dalmascan and Jihonese merchants, presumably in protest of the slave trade. This Rabia may not much care for slave trade, either, and it did make him wonder what she was doing in Dalmasca. Naturally, Jihon would be even worse for delicate female sensibilities accustomed to a marked lack of slavery, as Dalmascans were, purportedly, kinder to their slaves and freedmen than Jihon ever was. Haku saw no reason for that to change. They shouldn't have ended up a slave, then.

Haku made a face, looking somewhat befuddled and yet, amused. "Lovely, yes," he answered, "if you're only considering the landscape." Jihon had its problems, ostensibly larger problems than those of Dalmasca and Galace, not to say Haku was familiar with Galace (Macenia was, as it happened, always giving Jihonese ships a problem or five, but that was about the extent of what Haku knew about Macenia). It was, perhaps, a bit surprising, to realize just how little he knew, about the rest of Azaleon. He supposed, he'd learn, along the way, and that was part of what he'd taken off so readily for. Who knew what it was the stallion wished to show him, and yet, either directly or indirectly, it was showing him the world, and Haku did love learning.

At that, Haku made another face, more befuddled, this time. "I'm not sure what I'm looking for," he said. "I surmise I'll know it when I see it. Until then, I'm but wandering." It was the most accurate way he could word it, without outright saying he was following a mirage horse. Ghost horse? Haku honestly had no idea. "It is interesting you've come to Dalmasca," he went on. "I have heard the Free Cities are bright and full of opportunity, so I am curious what is in Dalmasca that is apparently better than that." Wasn't Saqqara the one still ruled by its founder? Yes, that was the Golden City, half full of weres, as he remembered. Admittedly, though, Haku wasn't much interested in them, and didn't directly ask about Saqqara.
Pages [1]