Messiah
an open-world original fantasy game three races, two years' building, one continent

Sep 20, 2018 -- Alert Wonk

Sep 20, 2018 -- Alert Wonk

Started by Esmera

Sep 20, 2018, 02:31 PM

Go Down
Esmera gian hoa mat khon
100 Posts 28 Years Nonbinary Free City House Lucain
When justice takes a day of rest, death is twice as busy.
I have noticed some awkwardness with the topic and board watch alerts in the alert system, and am curious if anyone else is having the same issue. Make sure your notification settings are set to alert on topics and boards receiving new replies/topics, and let me know if the system ever stops dinging you.

Otherwise, just be aware, I guess, that they may stop for some odd reason, I haven't narrowed down why. As far as I can tell, they are meant to log themselves as sent and I think this is to prevent the system from dinging you on multiple replies in the same thread before you post to it again, but that does not make sense, because the system will still send you multiple alerts for the same thread. I'm trying to make sense of this and fix it, guys, I promise, just, hang tight.

If an important topic of yours stops alerting and you need it alerting again, just let me know which topic, and I'll force it to do it again via the database.

Esmera gian hoa mat khon
Alright, on this coming Monday, I will be digging up where in the back-end it checks the sent bool value, and force it to stop vetting it. This means you will be getting multiple pings for the same thread if more than one person posts to that thread, whether you've read it since the first alert ping or not.

I don't think this will really be an issue on an RP site, given most threads tend to go in a back-and-forth manner, and OOC threads don't tend to be very ridiculously popular. Plus, multi-player IC threads go in a certain order, and it'd be helpful to know when the person you posted after has posted again. So I don't think it'll be too overwhelming, at least for now.

This should do us okay until Beta 4 is released, or RC1 is, whichever comes first.

Esmera gian hoa mat khon
Okay, so here's the deal: I found the thing in the back-end. I found where it's going wrong. I don't know why. (No, I have no freakin' idea why that breaks.)

In short tl;dr form, basically, the system will check to see if you want alerts and then set up the alert stuff to send you one. Cool beans, right? Right. Somehow, somewhere in there, it starts failing intermittently. So I made it stop checking. If you are watching a thread, you will get alerts, period, no matter what you tell the system.
This does not matter, because this server cannot send emails, anyway.

You won't get multiple ones for the same thread, if you don't read it in-between, but you will always get alerts, even if you turn them off. If you don't want alerts anymore, delete the thread from your watches, because turning alerts off no longer works! Now, there's an important thing to note here, if you don't get into the thread and read it, it won't reset to 0, and you won't get another alert for it if someone posts again later. So make sure you're actually reading the thread when you remove the alert if you want more alerts later.

Go Up