April 3, 76

Started by Ksenia Warwicke, Jun 12, 2018, 04:39 AM

Go Down
Ksenia Warwicke
No title
Merchant
Jun 12, 2018, 04:39 AM
@dragonborn

It was quiet, out here, but it was also rather loud. For the first time, in quite a long time, the woman could hear the wind, whistling through the little splattered holes in the wood walls, rustling the trees and the grasses, almost as tall as her. She could smell the salty dampness of the coast nearby, hear the sea birds calling as they flew overhead. It was alive, out here, alive and wonderful and too much and not enough. The holes in the wood allowed small light beams to filter into the barn, dappling the floor. It was dirt, with a bit of dried grasses scattered around. It was not terribly comfortable, to sleep on, but it was a bit of an improvement over her ice floors.

In the corner, the woman sat, pinpricks of light scattered across her skin, her hands toying with what was supposed to become a snowflake. She was still having a hard time controlling it precisely enough to create the tiny branches of ice that formed a snowflake's structure, but Thana was doing something over there, and she didn't want to disturb him with incessant chattering. After all, that was rather quite rude. Besides, he was using a knife. Whatever it was, it was somewhat potentially dangerous. The woman couldn't heal; if he injured himself, they'd have to just hope it didn't become infected, as she couldn't heal, and neither of them had any money. Maybe they could make a bit of it, selling some of this scrap metal... who would want it, that, she didn't know.

Ice sorcery, fortunately, did not draw attention too much, so long as other people stayed away from them. So far, their luck had been holding. She prayed to Ytias that it remained so. When she'd woken up, he'd given her bits of fish, a handful of berries, some were sweet tasting, but some were more sour, making her face change, an apple, a bit of cattail flower spike, and what looked like wild asparagus. It smelled like it, too. Her mind still went in circles, and she still got distracted from time to time, but thinking and focusing were a little bit easier, today.

"Thana," she started, quiet, hoping not to disturb him. "Do you think we can find somewhere I can take a bath?" They didn't have any soap, so it wouldn't really be a bath, but, it'd been a while since she'd had one. The woman wasn't so sure where they were, in relation to everyone else, and how safe a bath would be. He'd gotten the fish from somewhere, though, right? Even if she did come out of it smelling like a fish, that'd be better than whatever she smelled like, now.
Thanatus
No title
Blood Fighter
19 Posts 20 Years Male 6' Blood Fighter dragonborn is online
It is better to die with a purpose, than to live without one.
Jun 13, 2018, 03:49 AM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2018, 03:51 AM by dragonborn
She was getting more difficult to distract. Since yesterday, Thana had managed to keep her mostly well-fed. What he managed to find growing wild, some of which was probably the remains of a farm that had reseeded itself and gone wild, was enough to get rather a wide range of food sources out here. It wasn't enough for them both, actually. Naturally, he prioritized her over him, but she was more likely to keel over suddenly than he was. Thana had gotten her this far. He didn't want her dying on him, now. He still ate, it just wasn't near as much as he was used to, and too long of it, and he knew it'd start adversely affecting him, but it was alright. He was going to sun-dry some fish later, as soon as he had the chance to go get more without leaving her alone too long, probably over-fish many times over, just to ensure they had enough for them both for a while. In the meanwhile, Thana was working on making sure she had a variety of things in her diet, because she was lacking in everything.

She was doing better. He'd been right, when he remembered her being more mentally present than that, at one time. Her diet cut, along with her expenditure of so much energy all the time, thanks to being wildly incapable of controlling her aura, had probably contributed to her inability to think straight. The thoughts in her head didn't seem to scramble as much, or as often, as they used to, and while she still got distracted, it was becoming less common. She was doing better. This was worth it. Now, though, he had to find her friggin cobras.

A bath? Thana paused with what he was doing, glancing up at her. ... she did look like she'd not had a bath in a few months, at least. He hadn't thought about this, though. He frowned, a bit, thinking, setting the wood aside; he was carving a wood stick down into a mostly straight shaft, so he could attach the bone arrowhead he'd made out of one of the chicken bones to it to make a fishing spear. "There's uh... well, there's the river I caught the fish in... I meant to go down and catch more fish to dry for later, anyway, if you wanted to go with me, you could wash off while I do that." It shouldn't be a problem, he didn't think. They were actually quite a ways from the rest of Nydema; far from the main roads, and the part of the river he went to was tucked so far into the wilderness, he was pretty sure it was actually outside Nydema's borders.

It was about as safe as they were going to get; but if they were together, they'd have a better chance of dealing with anyone that might stumble into them, anyway. The woman hadn't forgotten, for a while. She may remember enough to be able to pass them off as a normal woman and her guard. If that didn't work... Thana wasn't against stabbing a bitch, either.
Ksenia Warwicke
No title
Merchant
Jun 25, 2018, 09:16 AM
Yes, she'd thought about where he'd gotten the fish, as a potential place to get said bath. The woman smiled, slightly, albeit it was somewhat out of it. She was starting to be more mentally present, now, overall, yet there were still instances in which she was clearly still half here, and half somewhere else. The light didn't whisper as insistently as it used to, and given she had already been fairly confused, it made sense that it had likely been contributing to her confusion. Given it'd seemingly calmed down, and she was, now, always in the light, Ytias was likely pleased with where she'd ended up. The woman would take that as a sign she was on the right track. Or, perhaps it was Thana that was on the right track.

Admittedly, he did not leave long, when he did leave, but he seemed to have a much better idea of what to do than she. "That'd work well, I think," she answered, tilting her head back to look at the barn ceiling. It was way up there, past a loft likely meant to hold tools or perhaps grains. Varying plants had sprouted across the dirt, leaning toward the dappled sunlight, catching what few rays of light they could through the holes in the barn walls. She had an odd urge to paint it. There was nothing to paint with.

"I wouldn't want to be a bother, but, now that I'm moving around more, it's beginning to be a bit annoying." It was not as if she had rolled around in mud, and had it caked on her skin, and yet sometimes, that was precisely what it felt like. The woman would never understand how anyone could go too long without bathing. It felt grungy and uncomfortable, to her. Perhaps it was her noble sensibilities making her recoil from the sensation.

What was he doing, anyway? The woman leaned over, slightly, getting a look at what he'd been working on. "What is that?" she eventually decided to ask. Obviously, it was a stick, yet she wasn't quite certain what the stick was for, exactly. Clearly, he knew what he was doing, and she wouldn't question it too hard. She was interested, merely, that was all.
Thanatus
No title
Blood Fighter
Jun 25, 2018, 07:09 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2018, 07:10 PM by dragonborn
Being honest, even if she didn't think it'd work okay, Thana probably would've insisted on it, anyhow. He didn't much care for being away from her, for too long. See easy to distract and confuse; the last thing he needed was her running into someone without him. Thana did not trust most Dalmascans. Then again, he didn't trust much of anyone, but he supposed that just kind of went with the slave territory. Maybe he'd gotten that from being a blood fighter. Heck if he really knew, and in the end, it didn't matter. What mattered was, he could imagine some of the things someone else might think of when they came across her by herself.

"Nah, not a bother," he answered. "I suppose after a while, it does kind of start being pretty uncomfortable. At least it's warm out, now. You could probably bathe in your dress, if you wanted." Usually, letting your clothes dry on you like that was a bad idea, but Dalmasca was starting to get hot. And gross, really, so he certainly understood the want for a bath. Unfortunately, he'd only managed to get enough fabric to make the one dress, rather than at least two. Either way, he thought she'd end up a bit damp for the rest of the day. Not that the cold really seemed to make an impression on her one way or the other.

Oh. Thana picked the stick back up, holding it out for her to see. "This will eventually be the shaft for a fishing spear," he explained. "I'm getting all the knots and such out of it right now. That way it's easier to hold, and its aerodynamics are better. With a bent and knotted stick, you'll have more air resistance than you want, and it won't strike as hard as it should, or might go slightly off where I aim? Does that make sense?" Maybe not. He was trying.

"And then this," he went on, reaching over for the chicken bone arrowhead and holding that out, "goes up here. That way, fishing will be easier. I can find things in the wild to eat, plants I know aren't dangerous, but, most likely a lot of what we eat will be fish. May as well make getting them easier on me, right? Sun-dried fish lasts for several years, if I remember right, but wild animals steal food stores a lot." He may intend to get a lot of fish stockpiled now, but later it may be gone. Never knew when he'd have to replace the store, or... actually, when they'd be leaving. So far, so good, but Thana wasn't banking on their luck holding up.

Sometimes, though, he could swear the sun's rays were leading him to edible plants, had shown him the way to the river. Maybe they had a helper.
Ksenia Warwicke
No title
Merchant
Jun 26, 2018, 11:34 PM
Maybe she could. Said dress wasn't terribly comfortable, and, they had been alone together long enough, she wasn't terribly concerned about it, but it'd seen better days. There was a hole in it, already, over her thigh, where the hem was. It was kind of a short dress by necessity, but it covered the important things, and the woman didn't think about it beyond that. It wasn't terribly important. Thana was busy, after all, looking for something. Someone? Yes. No.

She'd forgotten, again.

"Fishing spear?" she asked, and then watched him explain what he was doing. Air resistance wasn't a problem she'd think of, but this was why he was the one doing things like this. The woman nodded, when he asked if it made sense, and then squinted a bit, at the bone arrowhead. Up there? How did he intend to make it stay? "They do," she said.

"How will you make the bone stay up here?" she asked. "Even if you attach it with the cords you made, it'll come off? Because of the force of hitting a fish, I think it'd eventually fall out. Maybe not immediately. Right?" Being honest, the woman had never had to be too concerned about finding her own food, or taking care of herself in the wild. She kind of wanted to learn, given Thana seemed to know so much, and maybe someday she wouldn't be quite as helpless, on her own.
Thanatus
No title
Blood Fighter
Jun 29, 2018, 02:17 PM
It was almost odd she was interested. Then again, it wasn't as if they had much else to talk about. The only other thing of vague interest, was probably her sorcery, but, neither she nor Thana knew much about that. It could be shortly summarized by, it went everywhere, more often than not. No real big deal, just, sometimes the randomly freezing the floor, thing, that was-on the bright side, it was useful for killing off the weeds.

Ah, yes, it probably would fall out, if you just attached it with cords. He smiled, a bit, moved the stick and cut a little notch in the top. "You make a notch in the top, like this," he explained. "Deeper than this, of course, I want it down to about here?" Thana moved the bone arrowhead, so she could see about how far in it'd go. "You'd probably be able to sort of use it like this, if you made the notch for it only just big enough for it to slot into it, but the cords keep it from wiggling out the sides. It may still eventually come apart, it'll just take a bit longer, and with the base of the bone supported by the wood, it'll have more power behind it when it stabs." Thana nodded there, once, more to himself than her.

"Once, humes were nomadic. Some still are, of course. Much of what our ancestors learned to do, they learned from using what the land gave them. When you're outside civilization, it's just you and the land. Gotta fall back on some maybe primitive means of doing things, but there's nothing we need that the land can't provide. We just have to know what we're looking at, and how to use it." He wasn't sure, now, who taught him that. Maybe his would-be parents in Jihon. Maybe they were memories from wherever home was. Either way, they certainly served him well.
Ksenia Warwicke
No title
Merchant
Jun 29, 2018, 11:44 PM
Oooh! That made sense. The notch in the stick kept the arrowhead from wiggling around too much back and forth, and the cords would keep it steady side to side. Then, the stick behind the arrowhead would prevent it from sliding backward. That was ingenious, and she was even more awed by what he could do, with just a stick, a piece of bone, and some cord.

Where'd he get the cord, anyway? She frowned, slightly, thinking about it. She didn't remember him finding any cords, or rope. That was strange, to her. "It's a good thing, you seem to remember what our ancestors knew. Where'd you get the cord? I don't remember. Is that also made from something?" It seemed, at least, to her, he was quite skilled at this making things out of other things deal. "What else do you know how to make? You're really good at this."

Was it strange a thing to be impressed by? Maybe it was.
Thanatus
No title
Blood Fighter
Jun 30, 2018, 11:45 PM
Had she missed that? That was a stupid question, actually. Sure, she might've been physically present for that, but, she probably hadn't been mentally present enough to figure out what he was doing. Perhaps, she didn't even register he'd been doing anything at all. That was, of course, kind of part of the problem, of nothing sinking in, mentally.

"Well, I don't know if you remember, or not," he started, pulling some of the loose sinew threads he had left out, to show her, "but I caught a chicken when we first came out here. Most animals have um, tendons and hamstrings, that help their bodies move. Even you and I do. These are very strong, by design. So when I killed the chicken, we ate it, and then I made things out of its bones," he went on, holding up the bone arrowhead, "and also pulled out the tendon. It's called sinew, sometimes, and basically it's just a bunch of tissue fibers, and when it dries, it becomes pretty tough stuff. Putting a few of the fibers together and twisting together a cord makes a pretty strong one."

He laughed, slightly. She seemed pretty interested. "If I had the tools, or could make them, I can also make boats, uh, other clothes besides... your dress thing, blankets and pillows, I can make shoes and bags out of animal hides, with a piece of wood I can make an animal skin canteen type thing. Hats and baskets, they're actually pretty easy if you've got the right plants around. With some mud and stone, you can make stone houses. Sun-dried earth is actually pretty tough, but I think Dalmasca's too humid for it to hold. With clay mud, you can make vases, cups, bowls, could do with wood, too. Lots of things can be made from just what's right here."
Ksenia Warwicke
No title
Merchant
Jul 02, 2018, 08:18 PM
No, the woman didn't remember that. Come to think, though, she vaguely remembered them roasting a chicken, that first night they were gone (was it the first?), but she didn't recall him doing anything to it before or after, besides that. Tendons, he said, he'd pulled the tendons out, that was creative. Certainly, it wasn't anything the woman would've thought up. Right, the arrowhead was also made of bone, apparently the chicken's bones. How was it, that he'd learned to seemingly use everything of what he'd killed? Could he do the same thing with deer, and such? It stood to reason, certainly.

"That's a lot of things to be able to make with just... stuff lying around, more or less," she said. "Where'd you learn all this? Just, trial and error, or...? Sometimes, I think I should be more self-sufficient. Maybe once, there were always other people to make sure I got what I needed, but..." She glanced around, a bit. "You're pretty dependable, but, I could help, too." After everything he was risking and had already done, for her, she felt like she kind of owed him, and, being able to somewhat pull her own weight was a start.

Maybe it wasn't enough of one, necessarily, but it was a start. Everyone had to begin somewhere, didn't they?
Thanatus
No title
Blood Fighter
Jul 27, 2018, 05:28 PM
He supposed it was. Thana had never thought about it, being honest. He just did what he had to do, that was all. Sometimes he had to get a little extra creative in his ventures, but it served him well. "Mostly trial and error," Thana answered. "I ah... well, my parents, I guess, showed me simpler things, weaving baskets and such, and I figured out how to do other things. They taught me that whatever I needed, I could get, if I looked in the right place, but the tricky thing was figuring out what I needed, and separating it from what I wanted." Sometimes, you could get something you wanted, but you almost always got what you needed, and telling the two apart was much better for productivity rates. Spending too long messing with something unnecessary, after all, often left little room for that which was necessary.

Oh. For some strange reason (do wonder why), Thana wasn't expecting that. "Well, I can teach you some things," Thana said. "Plant identification is very important, there are some plants you don't want to touch, let alone eat, but there are ways of telling what's what. Fishing isn't too hard, but it may take a while to pick up. Some basic first aid things aren't difficult. There's a plant somewhere that does something to help with whatever ailment you've got, it's good to remember for emergencies. You could probably learn weaving and sewing okay, also good. Not sure how well hunting would go, but I could teach you archery, anyway." It'd be good for her muscles, too. Given she hadn't been doing much for only the spirits knew how long, it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild some of her musculature. On the other hand, while their diets were pretty protein-heavy, he wasn't sure it'd be enough to support weight gain.

May put that one off. "In the meantime, we can go find the river and get your bath." Before they forgot, would maybe be a good idea.
Go Up