Welcome to Messiah! Please login or register!
Pages [1] 2

Live young, die fast In which Rosalio encounters Axelius Mar 13, 76 185 Views
15 Replies
Started by Rosalio, May 27, 2018, 10:02 PM
Rosalio
No title
Shelved
17 Posts House Asheron Blood Fighter Written by Zozma
May 27, 2018, 10:02 PM / 210 Words
Stretching his arms high above his head, Rosalio yawned and made his way to the practice ring. Another day, another round of practice. Sometimes, Rosalio just used the ring to practice on his own. It was large enough to move around, better than where he slept for practical purposes.

From the practice weapons rack, Rosalio grabbed a spear and hefted it in his hands, spinning it as he moved. Rosalio knew in the end, it really came down to man versus man but there was something elegant about the spear that had always caught his attention. Even if he never got to use it in a real fight, toying with the practice spears was enough.

There was some sparring going on already but Rosalio passed them and made his way over to a less occupied area, then tilted his head slightly when he saw a familiar form.

"Axelius," he drawled, giving the spear a lazy spin as he slowed his steps. "All alone are you? Need a partner?"

@Axelius @aphelion

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
18 Posts 23 Years Maleish 6' 3" House Asheron Blood Fighter Written by aphelion
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I'm not afraid to go out that way, too.
May 28, 2018, 08:19 PM / 389 Words
A lot of people found him irritating to spar with. Axelius couldn't say he was surprised; after so long as a pleasure slave, he just naturally leaned toward moving probably more gracefully than a blood fighter should. Few were really sure how to handle him in a fight, more because he moved in unexpected ways, could dodge things most shouldn't be able to, but he'd retained his flexibility. It was still more useful in the bedroom than on the sands, but with some work, he was learning how to adapt it.

He'd chosen to end up here, plated metal gauntlets around his forearms, small spikes on the inside that popped out when he needed something sharp, a blood fighter for at least a few years now. He'd lost track of time, mind. It wasn't as if he had any real reason to track the years, but he did remember he was twenty three, maybe, something like that, it was probably still spring, and that was as specific as he cared to bother with. That was sad, wasn't it? Well, he didn't mind it much. Slaves didn't think. Blood fighters thought even less. Presumably, at least.

Ah; this one remembered his name, but at the moment, Axelius was blanking on -- Rosalio. Right. Axelius had an excuse; he might've handled general house guard, but most of the time, he was Livia's. You know, assuming she held still long enough for him to actually be nearby when she needed it. How the hell Alcides managed to keep up with her, Axelius never figured out.

At least the guy'd finally told her. Axelius was about to tell her Alcides was in love with her his damned self.

"Not really," the Macenian answered, pulling one arm to the side and popping it. "Been here a while already, so I'm calling it a day." Some fighters were always sparring. Axelius liked to do other stuff. He might've accidentally broken a jaw today. Oops. "Aren't you always out here, anyway?" Did he do anything else? Just wondering. Admittedly, Axelius didn't stalk him or anything, it just seemed like he was always on the training grounds.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
May 28, 2018, 09:54 PM / 233 Words
Rosalio knew only a handful of the others by name. He knew Axelius because he moved the way he did; it wasn't often he saw grace in a blood fighter. Like a dancer, really, more than a fighter. Most were pretty brutish. Rosalio, however, prided himself on being stylish. He was graceful, too, but he appreciated it when he saw it in another. So he'd watched him once or twice before. 

Oh, leaving already was he? It was true, though. Axelius had been there a while, as evidenced from the sheen on his brow. Idly, Rosalio stopped spinning the practice weapon and stuck the end of it into the sand. 

"You noticed?" he asked. "Mercy me." 

But it was true; Rosalio spent an inordinate amount of time training and practicing. That was mostly because this, to him, had become life. His biggest hobby. On the side, he liked to carve wooden figurines of fanciful people, dragons, horses. He wasn't particularly skilled at anything other than fighting and whittling at wood. 

"I like it out here," he admitted. "Blood, sweat." He shrugged, then took a step forward, a smirk slowly crossing his face. "Sure you don't want one last spar? I might even let you beat me~" 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I'm not afraid to go out that way, too.
May 29, 2018, 05:42 AM / 379 Words
Yeah, Axelius noticed. He may not always remember names, but, he did remember faces. Okay, no, more accurately, he remembered bodies, but he didn't think that was normal. Not that he knew what normal was supposed to be, anyway. It was probably similar to how it worked, when he was still in a brothel, you know, faces just kind of blurred together into one indistinct mess, but you remembered certain things. Builds, and whether they were painful or not, those sort of stuck out, at least to him.

"Wow," Axelius sounded amused. "That'd be boring, you'd have to pretty much just sit there to let me win." No, he was never particularly confident a fighter, that was never a question. Axelius wasn't taught to fight, see; he was a lover. Truthfully, though, most days, he had no idea what the fuck that even meant.

"Don't you have hobbies or something? Friends, maybe? We're allowed to leave and whatever, you could go get smashing drunk," he suggested, grinning slightly. Not that Axelius did that. Okay, maybe he did... most of his arena earnings went into his savings, anyway, but once in a while, he just needed a glass of fuck my life. He intended to free his brothel friends, someday, but he wasn't really a stellar blood fighter to start with, and he didn't make a whole lot. "Stumble into getting a girlfriend or so. We're all gonna die someday, anyway, right? May as well enjoy the ride."

It was entirely possible, just because he saw dead people, Axelius spent perhaps way too much time thinking about death. Did you know, being a blood fighter, which killed a lot of people, was a really bad idea when you saw dead people? Yeah, it was. As far as he could figure, his job was to get the dead people into the bright light thing. How he was supposed to do that, when most of them were clinging to the life they'd lost so hard because they had no idea where their mom or their brother or whatever was, yeah, who knew.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
May 29, 2018, 08:10 PM / 173 Words
"That bad, eh?" 

That was really such a pity; Rosalio liked fighters. Really, part of him was certain he'd been born for this life. The past was kind of a blur but fighting, that was splashed into his mind in great clarity. There was something beautiful about the fight. Not that he was particularly cruel or violent. It was just that fighting was so primal and basic. Sort of like other things in life. Like yeah, getting drunk. But the girlfriend part. Rosalio let out a snort and looked away from Axelius, instead focusing in on one of the nicer looking fighters. A fine ass on that one. 

"Girls aren't my speed. And getting drunk can be fun but the shit after..." 

He regarded Axelius thoughtfully. 

"In my experience, people who need to get drunk are trying to forget something. What're you trying to forget? Is that your hobby?" 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
May 29, 2018, 10:30 PM / 259 Words
"Basically," Axelius said, shrugging. Well, he hadn't died yet, that had to count for something, he guessed.

Girls weren't his speed? Well, welcome to the club, Axelius guessed. A ridiculous percentage of Dalmasca was either gay or bi, or didn't care either way. Axelius didn't really care either way, he just wasn't as practiced with girls as he was with other guys. Something about knowing how to use his tongue, or whatever it was. Quite honestly, Axelius tried not to think about it. It was easier, that way.

"You just drink a lot of water," Axelius replied. "And boyfriend, then. Or just friends, whichever." Hey, whatever floated the guy's boat, and all of that. Axelius wasn't judging, and frankly, neither was anyone else.

Oh.

A slight shift of his weight, from one leg to the other, and Axelius snorted, smiling just a bit. "Mine's socializing," he answered. More accurately, it was remaining drowned in things to do so much, the rest of it went away. Being so caught up in the occurrences of every day, that his head never went anywhere it wasn't supposed to, that his thoughts stayed here, that it didn't start feeling like he was watching life pass him by through someone else's eyes. Because it was freaky, as fuck, that was why. "But isn't everyone trying to forget something?" It seemed that way to him.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
May 30, 2018, 12:50 PM / 245 Words
Hmmmm. 

Axelius, he seemed to have an answer for everything but he wasn't too friendly, was he? Not much for fighting, not much for chatting. Something was up with him. Like Rosalio pointed out, people who drank a lot, they were usually trying to forget something. Drowning something. Rosalio knew, not from personal experience but more out of watching and observing others. Slaves didn't tend to be happy people. Blood fighters, even less. They saw some shit. Rosalio sort of learned to roll with the punches from a young age but not everybody learned how to do that. 

Maybe Axelius was one of them. But he smiled. Socializing. His excuse was socializing. Rosalio tilted his head slightly but didn't argue the point. If it was true, it was true. If it wasn't, then he wasn't going to prod. Axelius didn't owe Rosalio anything. They were barely acquaintances in the same field. Rosalio wouldn't share certain things with him either; it was just the way of the world. 

"You could say that." But Rosalio wondered what he was trying to forget. Maybe he drowned himself in fights instead of getting drunk. It was hard to think when you were in the middle of a fight. At least, about anything other than the fight at hand. 

"Want to socialize?" 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
Jun 03, 2018, 12:03 PM / 258 Words
That got a laugh, more airy than anything, a boyish smirk of amusement on his face for a moment. "Is that not what we're doing?" True it was, he guessed, some people had different definitions of 'socializing,' and some could argue Axelius wasn't terribly much for socializing with other blood fighters, anyway. They'd not be wrong, mostly because he had no idea how to deal with other blood fighters. Suave-charming the pants off a warlord? He had that down to a fine art. Everyone else? What do with.

Probably a side-effect of never really figuring out how to operate outside the bedroom, but, he wasn't too shabby at being charming with Her Gorgeousness (Livia, of course), or Alcides, for that matter, and he was actually pretty mouthy. It was a blood fighter thing. He had issues with other blood fighters.

Jee, couldn't imagine why, what a strange and unexplained thing to have issue with.

"Unless you have a different definition of it," he went on. "Which, I suppose some do. Some people don't much care for words, either, what are words anyway." Who knew. Noises, mostly, that somehow had magically gained meaning, probably because some people thought too much, and decided to try conveying these things they thought to other people (why?), and here they were. What the hell were words? How weird was it, anyway, names and stuff. What is the noise that gets your attention? Wild.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
Jun 06, 2018, 04:53 PM / 259 Words
"Actually, I do happen to have a different definition." 

Because in Rosalio's world, socializing--well not the best thing for blood fighters to be doing--was something that took more than just some casual banter in the sparring area. That was... well, it was banter. Not socializing, as such. To Rosalio, socializing actually meant going out, doing something other than training. Hey, he might live for practice and battle but it didn't necessarily mean he did nothing. (And yeah, so he didn't always drink but...)

He looked around, almost half expecting somebody to be watching their interaction. There was one, but he didn't do much more than narrow his eyes slightly when Rosalio's gaze met his. Then he was going back to his practice, as if he hadn't just been caught snooping. Eavesdropping. Whatever. 

"I've always thought there should be some level of comfort in socialization and I don't know about you, but right now, I could be more comfortable."

Annnnnd that sounded more like an innuendo than he'd attended but he lazily turned his spear over in his hands like he'd totally done that on purpose. What he really meant was that it'd be nice to get cleaned up and do something quieter. Sure, Rosalio liked to train but he also enjoyed other things. Whittling wood. Playing puzzle games. Dice games. He wasn't much for cards but he knew a few. 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
Jun 17, 2018, 03:47 AM / 326 Words
Well, go figure that. Axelius' expression probably screamed 'figures as much.' You know, he should, most likely, be more concerned that he was never really in a good mood, anymore. The only time he was anywhere near in a good mood, was when he happened to be in Livia's presence, and that was more because his charm instinct kicked in. You always charmed the ladies. That was half his job, once. Half, because, he also had guys to charm. He was starting to wonder if he even could, nowadays.

Axelius snorted, a half-smile crossing his face, pulling one arm to the side, popping his shoulder, then the other. That almost sounded like a terrible pick-up line he'd hear in a sleazy brothel. Nothing like he'd hear in Helene's place, not that it was actually hers, but nobody'd ever met the owner besides her anyway, but you know. ... he tried not to think about them, too much. Odd, wasn't it, how he missed it? "Well, sounds like you know what you want," Axelius answered. After a moment, an oddly coy smile replaced the half-smile, blue eyes doing one of those once overs of the other fighter. "I like guys that know what they want."

... damn it. That was not what he'd meant to say. Okay. Focus. He shook his head, the smile still on his face, but more distant, now. "In that case, what'd you have in mind? I'm probably supposed to be stalking Her Gorgeousness, she does that thing where she runs off and comes back with an arrow in her leg and all, but, Alcides is around, now. I can worry less."

And thank the gods for that, really. Alcides was better at Livia-stalking than Axelius was, but, the smaller one had a lot more practice.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
Jun 17, 2018, 04:21 PM / 280 Words
Yep, the words had already come out of his mouth and it seemed like Axelius had easily caught onto the unintended innuendo. The coy smile said it all. Hah. The once-over also said something else. Like maybe that the innuendo wasn't unwanted or disliked. Rosalio smirked in response although some part of him was also a little self-conscious. Oh yes, the brave warrior who liked blood sport was sometimes a little uncomfortable when receiving a certain kind of attention. He liked it, so that wasn't the problem. 

"Do you now?" 

It seemed like Axelius was putting a stop to the natural state of flirtation for some reason, though. Rosalio was confused by where exactly the other man wanted to take things. Sometimes he seemed off in his own little world. He could fight well enough, that was what Rosalio observed. It just didn't seem like he was as into it as say, somebody like Rosalio, who reveled in combat. He had his own set of interests beyond that, of course. It was just that he happened to embrace his current mode of lifestyle, was all. 

And lookit 'em now. Axelius was in that far away place right now. Smiling, but not here. Whatever that smile was for, it almost seemed like it was there to mask something else. It didn't reach his eyes, though. Not the way it did a moment ago, when Rosalio actually felt a spark of interest for him. Ah, well. Some men. 

"Is that what you'd rather be doing? Stalking 'Her Gorgeousness'?" 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
Jun 17, 2018, 11:24 PM / 471 Words
Usually, here, he'd be wondering why that was his default state of being. It had been since he was five, maybe, he hardly remembered now. And after House Salonus, he'd gone to a brothel, and it was still his default state of being, only then, he was older. He started understanding it better. Somewhere in here, maybe he didn't want to be that way, anymore. Maybe that wasn't the person he wanted to be. Truth be told, Axelius didn't know who he did want to be. He'd never had the chance to think about it. This was Dalmasca, of course; he'd be whoever his master of the moment wanted him to be, and House Asheron was jarring mostly for the fact he had no idea who he was, if his master wasn't telling him, and Livia never had.

He supposed, even a year away from it wasn't enough to make it go away. There'd always be some bit of brothel slave in him somewhere, a giant scar that never faded away. Some never did. This one was shaping up to be one of those.

"The wishy-washy ones are the most annoying," Axelius answered, eyebrows raising slightly, an almost-smirk gracing his lips. And they were. They made you do all the thinking, for one thing. "I'd rather get one that knows what he's after." Ultimately, it was easier. It was not always less painful, but, he liked pain, anyway. If he had to guess, that was probably part of why. Ah, but House Salonus were known for their, taboo pleasures among the noble caste. Come to House Salonus, and be every bit the freak you fucking were, and not have to worry about the consequences of it. Yeah, he knew how attractive that was, to them.

Public images, and all, they were quite the thorn.

Yes. ... no? Hmm. Axelius thought about that for a second, and then shrugged. "Yes, and no. I am technically part of her guard, so it is kind of my job to stalk her. I have to admit to a slight bit of repeated trouble refraining from stabbing uppity Dalmascan nobles, but hey, patient, nobody's ever used that word and my name in the same sentence." Nah, he wasn't known for it. "But she doesn't seem to mind when I don't. Like I said, Alcides is around again. I don't have to, anymore."

Wasn't like he knew what else to do, though, so if he wasn't talking to Rosalio, he probably would be.

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
Jun 18, 2018, 02:13 PM / 202 Words
"Maybe," he said, giving it some thought. Were the wishy-washy ones the most annoying? Perhaps. But sometimes... Well. "Sometimes you have to help them make up their minds. You don't think that's kinda fun?"

Rosalio admittedly liked a challenge. Just like he liked a challenge in the ring, he liked a challenge in bed. The ones who knew what they wanted might be fun in a way but not if they were directing everything. Rosalio was kind of bossy in that way and he didn't want other people telling him what to do. It was partly why he chafed at this whole being somebody else's property business. But this was fine. House Asheron wasn't bad; he got to have a mind of his own and that was just the way he liked it. 

"Weird, isn't it?" Rosalio squinted as a ray of sun slanted into his eyes. "When they don't mind? Why did she give you the job if she doesn't mind you not doing it?"

He liked it--mind, but it was so strange compared to most others. 

Axelius
macenian snake
Blood Fighter
Jun 19, 2018, 02:10 AM / 449 Words
... Axelius really wanted to tell this guy how lucky he was to be able to think that. How lucky he was that sex was still fun in any capacity. He didn't. He bit his tongue, arched an eyebrow, and shrugged. "If you're into that, and the other person's not just an indecisive prat, sure." Him? Nah. Maybe with the right person. Maybe with someone he actually cared about, but, sex was an obligation to him, not really something you did for fun. Incidentally, Axelius still got plenty laid, because hey, how else would you spend your free time? He didn't know. He'd eventually figured out, though, it was really just making everything worse, and that didn't make any sense, but there it was.

Boy, was he glad he had his own room, here. Weird as it was, it wasn't like Axelius was used to sharing rooms with someone. One good thing about brothels, they all did have their own space. It was often invaded, but, beggars couldn't be choosers, or however the saying went. Not that it was entirely valid, but, it was valid enough, he guessed.

"Being honest, probably because I could keep up with her, if I tried," Axelius answered, shifting his weight. He did smirk slightly. "She's so get up and go, you know, takes a certain person to move at the speed of Livia. Most can't. But then Alcides came back. I don't know if you've noticed or anything, but she's got the hots for him pretty serious. Even if she did care whether I was around or not, I think she wouldn't even notice if I was or wasn't anyway, because Alcides is there." More or less. Okay, it was a little more complicated than that, because she did seem to give some semblance of a fuck about him, but, you know.

"Oversimplifying it, probably, but some days, it's not that far off from the truth." Some days. "Not that I mind. They're cute. Like in that really disgustingly cute way, and they're fun to tease about it." Fortunately, neither of them was traumatized by Dalmasca enough for that to make them super self-conscious or anything. "In any case, it's not like she can't take care of herself. She's just as much a fighter as we are, and all. It's just easier when she's not doing it solo."

Rosalio
No title
Shelved
Jun 19, 2018, 05:36 PM / 177 Words
Rosalio let out a sigh. Ah, well. Not everybody liked the same things. Or understood the desire for certain things. Funny that Axelius seemed like a flirt but at the same time, completely uninterested. Rosalio might have taken that as a challenge in itself. Was he being baited and played with? By the body language... maybe? 

Then again, Axelius seemed all too glad to drop the subject so maybe not

"Aww, now that is cute." He grinned and flicked his hair back, amused by the idea of the master (mistress?) being smitten by Alcides. Really now, wasn't that cute? It was probably nice, being able to have a crush on somebody like that but maybe it was just as unrequited as any slave's feelings. 

"But I agree. She can take care of herself. Just make sure she's not too lovesick to notice what's going on around everybody besides Alcides." 

Pages [1] 2