Welcome to Messiah! Please login or register!
Pages [1] 2

I've been living in the darkness in which Junai breaks and enters Mar 18, 76 204 Views
20 Replies
Started by Junai, May 24, 2018, 06:22 PM
Junai
No title
Shelved
11 Posts Slave Written by Zozma
May 24, 2018, 06:22 PM / 345 Words
Um.

Did he hear something? His ear twitched back and he edged closer to the ground. He could have sworn that he heard something. There was something nearby. Slowly, slowly, so s l o w l y, Junai let one knee touch the grimy ground. His heart felt like it was beating its way out of his chest and his limbs shook slightly as he tried to steady himself with a hand on the ground.

Scrfff!

The sound of paper slipping across the ground. Heart in his throat, Junai stared down at an old piece of parchment that had wound up against his hand in the slightly windy conditions. His eyes widened. He wanted to grab it--it was some kind of wanted notice for somebody that Junai didn't personally recognize. But just as he was thinking, grab it!--he heard the sound of footsteps down the other end of the alley.

Scrambling in sheer terror, Junai ran. From somewhere behind him, he thought he heard somebody coming after him--but that also could have been the panicky pounding in his ears. Making a swift turn, he found himself face to face with a wall. It might have stopped a talentless hume but Junai boosted himself up with the use of air aura and he found himself on the other side of the wall.

No time to stop.

He kept going until he found himself in another long row of buildings. They were dilapidated and didn't look as if anybody decent lived in them. Hopefully nobody lived in them. Junai pushed against the boards on a half boarded up window. The boards gave and he kicked them in the rest of the way before leaping through the window and inside the building.

Outside, he could have sworn he heard people so he ducked underneath the windowsill... only to find himself face to face with somebody else.

Shit.

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
28 Posts 25 Years Female 5'4'' House Tachibana Ujalin Written by Lenara
May 28, 2018, 09:27 AM / 407 Words
The inside of the building was mostly bare. There were debris against the wall on one side, where someone had clearly cleaned up a portion of the floor and moved them there, not knowing what else to do with them. In the clean section an unconscious woman lay with a thin blanket draped across the majority of her form. A small collection of belongings was laid a bit away.

There was no one who was supposed to be here, as far as Xiaodan had been able to tell. She'd chosen her hiding place for the woman rather well, and had been careful not to disturb things outside. It didn't look like anyone was here, even now. As far as she could tell the building didn't really have an owner - at least not one that paid any attention to what was happening on the premises. It was enough shelter to stop Xiaodan from being bothered by the elements, and enough to protect her wounded charge from those who might try and finish the job.

The girl was certainly not expecting the boards on the window to suddenly come crashing inward. Xiaodan shifted her weight slightly, muscles tense. She sat between the unconscious woman she'd been tending and the window, and her dark eyes were wide with surprise as the Ilim seemed to notice her for the first time. ... He seemed a little tall for an Ilim. But then... perhaps she was judging incorrectly - she was sitting at a strange angle.

There was mistrust and maybe a touch of fear in her gaze. She glanced first to the window itself, but didn't see anyone. It of course did not mean there was no one coming. But Xiaodan hoped it was just the Ilim, she wasn't sure she could defend her unconscious charge from worse. "...Running from... what?" Her voice was low, but her accent was very noticeable.

He could be an enemy, or they could effectively be on the same side - with enemies from Dalmasca being a very real threat. She still didn't know who had hurt the woman she was trying to heal, or why. All she knew was that someone had done a very good job of trying to kill her. But she didn't know what to expect from the Ilim either.

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 28, 2018, 11:23 AM / 282 Words
A woman. What looked like a woman. He could see her in the darkness, his vision easily cutting through the dim light to make out her expression. He could smell it, too. Her trepidation. Like him, she was hiding from something. Oh, how he wished he hadn't kicked anything in. How much noise did it make? Too much, he was sure. Too much, too much. 

To his horror, she opened her mouth to speak and Junai quickly slipped a hand over her mouth, using his other hand to press a finger to his lips. Quiet. She probably couldn't hear it yet but he could. Footsteps. Voices. They were getting closer. Every muscle felt tense as he heard them--but if they noticed the wood was missing from the window as they passed, they said nothing. They didn't even hesitate. After a long, long moment, it sounded as if they were receding. 

Maybe they hadn't noticed him after all. 

Shit.

Letting out his breath as quietly as he could, he dropped both hands and then shifted so that his back rested against the wall under the window. 

"...guards," he finally said, hands on his knees. He looked over at the girl... and noticed then that she wasn't alone when he'd arrived. He tilted his head in question but didn't ask. "When it's safe, I'll put the boards back up." 

His heart seemed to finally start beating at a normal pace. Slowly, he reached out his hand, palm up. "Junai." 

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
May 28, 2018, 12:39 PM / 303 Words
Xiaodan didn't protest when he covered her mouth, but she was obviously very displeased at his sudden proximity. Sense overrode her slight fear though, and she held very still and quiet. She didn't trust him not to knife her, but she knew it could be bad for them both if they were found. He was an Ilim, he could hear things she could not. When he released her, she slid back a bit from him, putting herself slightly closer to her charge.

There wasn't that much space, of course. But it was enough to give her room to breathe and make her a little less nervous about him. Ilim were often powerful mages, and she still didn't know what he was running from. He could be innocent like her, or he could have done something terrible. It was hard to say, really. Then again, some could say she'd done something terrible before she came here. It didn't matter, she told herself. It didn't matter, she just wasn't sure she could protect herself from him if he chose to hurt her.

Hopefully he wouldn't.

Guards. Of course. She didn't speculate on why he might be running from the guards, and instead took a few slow breaths to steady herself. "I would ... be thankful." She could probably secure them with her magic if she tried, but it would be better not to have to. It would be better to save her energy for the task at hand - she was already beginning to wear down, after all.

Xiaodan took the offered hand after only a moment's hesitation. "Xiaodan." She offered. "Don't know hers." Inclining her head slightly.

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 28, 2018, 02:40 PM / 146 Words
It wasn't just for her benefit that he'd put those boards back up--it was for his own--but he didn't say as much. One fellow outlaw to another (or whatever they were defined as), he knew that it wasn't smart to keep the area open. They were sitting ducks. At least the boards would keep somebody at bay... Like they kept me at bay? He wondered if the guards sensed the change in the air around them. No, no. If they had, they would have surely found him by now.

"That's a pretty name," he said as he gently squeezed her hand and then let go. He looked over at the wounded woman. Sick woman? Something was wrong with her. Drawing his knees up to his chest, he asked, "What happened to her?" 

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
May 28, 2018, 09:28 PM / 262 Words
Though it seemed the boards wouldn't be enough to protect her and her charge properly. Xiaodan probably should have known that but she'd... hoped. She didn't really want to modify the look of the outside of the building to make it more secure either, because people might notice the changes, and if they did they could get curious. She'd probably need a more secure location soon. But moving the woman would be hard. Hm. She couldn't entirely win here.

"Thanks." There was a slight hint of a blush in her cheeks - not entirely because she was flattered, but because Xiaodan herself wasn't used to receiving complements, and wasn't... sure how to handle it, exactly.  She hadn't shared her family name because it meant nothing here. And because she had no right to her birth-name and had murdered her husband. What family name did a widow use? She wasn't sure, really. And it didn't matter - there were more pressing issues.

"I'm not sure." Xiaodan admitted mildly. "But the injury ..." She frowned a moment to consider the words. "Looks like, um, sword through here." Xiaodan lay a hand on her own body, just below the rib cage. "The infection is bad." Enough so that Xiaodan wasn't sure she could save the woman, not entirely. But a sickroom was no place for doubt, which she reminded herself very frequently. "I am healing her. Slowly."

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 28, 2018, 10:07 PM / 189 Words
Aw, how cute. She blushed. Junai's lips curled into a happy smile. There was just something about a pretty face blushing that warmed his tattered little heart. He fiddled with the ties on his boots while Xiaodan explained her predicament. His eyes narrowed briefly at the indication that a blade had gone through the woman's side. Leaning forward, Junai tilted his head and tried to get a better look at the other woman. She really didn't look so good. 

"Maybe I can help."

He learned basic healing arts--Junai's abilities leaned more toward passive and supportive skills more so than destruction. He didn't know how skilled Xiaodan's magic was but maybe together, they could help this woman step away from the grave. Because when he heard infection--he worried that death was not far to come. He'd seen infection before, in fellow slaves. He'd seen what it did, how it ravaged the body, blackened and deadened the skin from the inside out. 

"Can I get a better look at her?" 

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
May 30, 2018, 02:08 AM / 220 Words
"Maybe." Xiaodan allowed after a moment. She wasn't entirely sure what to think of it, of course. But Ilim were stronger mages than most humes, and there was a chance he had more training than she did. Actually, a fairly good one, because she was rather low on the training aspect. The girl wasn't going to refuse help when it was offered, but she still wasn't sure what to make of the large ilim.

"Of course." Xiaodan kept her voice quiet. She shifted around slightly and pulled the thin blanket down to the woman's waist, and opened the top of what she was wearing to reveal the bandages. ... As it turned out, they needed to be changed, she could tell. Delicately Xiaodan removed the bandages, laying the injury bare for the moment. It could probably use a brief bit in open air anyway - the skin could dry a bit, and that would probably be best for it.

It also made it easier for her compatriot to take a look at her. "She's doing a little better than she was when I found her." But Xiaodan didn't think she was really improving fast enough. There were... too many risks involved with infection, of course.

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 30, 2018, 01:09 PM / 165 Words
Inwardly, Junai winced when the injury was opened to the air. It did appear that infection had set in, although he could tell that there had been some healing done. Was it enough, though? Edging closer to the injured woman, Junai sat cross-legged next to her. He reached out a hand over the wound but didn't touch it. He could feel the heat of rot. Frowning, he glanced sideways at Xiaodan. 

"Let's see..."

His eyes half closed as he gently drew on the aura of the air around them. He wanted a better feel for the wound. How deep did it go? How far had the infection spread? 

"...I think she can be saved." 

Xiaodan looked at the unconscious woman again. Who was she and what did she get herself mixed up in? 

"Has she been unconscious the whole time?" 

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
May 30, 2018, 03:51 PM / 194 Words
Xiaodan was quiet, and allowed him to have a few moments to consider the injury. She reached out, gently with empathy while he did that, sensing for anyone outside. It seemed reasonably prudent to make sure no one was going to suddenly come crashing in on them - and she still wasn't entirely positive about trusting him. She wanted to, but... it seemed a little odd that a stranger running from the guards would just happen to also want to help her help a dying woman.

Maybe Ilim were just like that. Xiaodan wasn't... really sure.

"Well, I'm glad for that." That he thought she could be saved. Xiaodan was certainly trying - but the confirmation that it wasn't necessarily already a lost cause was nice.

"She has been, yes. Since I found her. That was a some time ago now." It was one of the things that had worried Xiaodan most about the whole thing. Xiaodan thought it had been a week, maybe. ... Maybe a little longer? She hadn't really been counting the days.

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 30, 2018, 05:13 PM / 192 Words
Yes, she could be saved but there were no guarantees. There were never any guarantees. Junai had used his abilities to heal in the past when dealing with slaves that were injured by rough lovers. Those people generally weren't run through with a blade but there were still infections present. And sometimes, those who seemed hardiest were the first to give up. 

"Oh." 

For a while could have meant anything but if she hadn't awakened... that seemed to lessen her chances. Junai heard about what happened when infections spread to the head. To the brain. Even if she could be healed, there could be something off about her. Her soul might have left her body, leaving this body nothing but a fleshy shell. 

"I'll do my best," he said, trying to keep doubt from creeping into his voice. While he exerted a gentle healing aura over the wound, he flicked his gaze up to Xiaodan. She probably had lots of questions. So did Junai. 

"Have you been here the whole time?"

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
May 30, 2018, 11:42 PM / 260 Words
"I think she may have..." The word escaped Xiaodan for a moment. Dalmascan was so... frustrating at times. Okay, concentrate. "Septic. I think is the word. Infection spreading... maybe in blood. Not sure." She wasn't sure how to tell, but it was common enough with abdominal injuries that she was ... concerned about it.

It might be too late, the infection could have done damage neither of them knew about. But Xiaodan had to believe that it was going to be okay.

"I appreciate it. It's more than you have to do." That hadn't come out quite right. But she hoped he still understood it as an expression of gratitude. He didn't have to help at all, and yet he was.

"That depends on what... you mean by that." Carefully. "I have been here a week or so. Sometimes I go out to market, then come back." She wasn't sure what he meant exactly. And she wasn't sure... if she wanted to exchange too much information with him. She was curious for certain, but there was risks to knowledge - it could be powerful. And if the wrong person found out about them here... she wondered if it was safe to trust him, not for the first time.

But he did seem genuinely kind enough. And, at least from his surface emotions, she couldn't sense anything malicious. But Xiaodan didn't dare try sensing any deeper.

Junai
No title
Shelved
May 31, 2018, 04:17 PM / 290 Words
"Yes... that's not good."

He wondered if he made the right call, saying she would probably be okay. Maybe not. Maybe she would simply die here, an unknown woman with a mysterious wound. How did she end up here? What was she running from? For a long moment, Junai was silent, taking in the unconscious woman's facial features, what clothes she still wore, the style of her hair. Anything to indicate where she came from, what type of person she was. Fellow slave or noble? 

Either way, she ended up in the same place as himself and Xiaodan. And who was she, at that? The problem was, as a slave, all that Junai knew came from those who visited him and his masters--most of whom wanted to keep him ignorant. 

Still, he kept pulling a soft, gentle aura around the woman in an attempt to combat her sepsis, not sure if it would even lead to anything good. If she woke, what would she say? And whom would she say it to? 

"Ah, I meant with her, here the whole time." A week? That didn't sound promising for the unconscious woman but it did sound promising for the hideout. Except that he'd busted in and maybe compromised her position. He hadn't even thought about that part until now. She had to be running from something, too. 

"I won't be here long," he told her. "And I'll leave it the way it was when I got here." He indicated the broken boards on the floor. 

Xiaodan Tachibana
No title
Ujalin
Jun 01, 2018, 09:17 PM / 219 Words
"No, it's not." She knew that.

"Well, she couldn't have been injured that long before I found her." Or she would have been dead when Xiaodan found her. But she'd been here for the most part, watching over her. Only leaving for supplies when she had to, trying not to draw attention and staying very quiet. It was easy though, when all she had was an unconscious woman around. She'd been here for the most part, she thought. But she also figured that he could probably make that jump based on what she'd already said - so she didn't repeat herself.

She wondered if he had anywhere else to go, or if he was just going to vanish into the wind. It wasn't exactly her concern, of course. But some part of her did wonder. It was probably normal. On the other hand, it wasn't really her concern and taking on more than she could handle at one time could be problematic.

"If that's what you want to do." She wouldn't ask him to fix it, and she wouldn't ask him to stay. She wouldn't tell him he couldn't either.

Junai
No title
Shelved
Jun 02, 2018, 02:54 PM / 219 Words
Junai tried to recall if he'd heard anything about a woman being assaulted about a week ago. Sadly, if he had, he didn't absorb that information well. He'd been on the run the moment he found a way to escape, which had been oh.... about three days ago? It was still fresh in the minds of his masters and he knew they wouldn't just let him go, no matter how useless they told him he was. It was nice, he knew, for them to have an ilim around to heal their wounded. 

Well, now he was healing somebody else! He jutted his chin out slightly, proudly, as if somebody from his past life was watching him right now. In the motion, however, he heard the telltale jangle of the chain hidden beneath his cloak. Hoping Xiaodan hadn't heard it, he cleared his throat. 

"I mean, I'll stay as long as I can to help you heal her and wake her up." Or if the worst happened. "But I... I can't stay in one area too long."

Safe as Xiaodan made this place sound, it was probably less safe with his noisy self sharing the building with her. 

Pages [1] 2